Bayan Audio StreamPort adds Bluetooth to speaker dock family
Posted on 13 Nov 2012 at 09:46, by Gareth Halfacree
Fresh from its partnership with headphone maker Radiopaq on a speaker and headphone bundle, Bayan Audio has announced the launch of a drop-in Bluetooth upgrade for its speaker systems - and promises a vendor-neutral universal version is in the works.
The Bayan Audio StreamPort is a compact device which connects directly to the rear of any Bayan Audio speaker dock, providing Bluetooth connectivity through the new Smart Bluetooth 4 standard and the high-quality apt-X lossless audio codec. The result, the company claims, is CD-quality streaming from any Bluetooth compatible device, including Apple's iPad and iPhone ranges, most Android smartphones and tablets, and both desktop and laptop computers.
The system works through the A2DP Bluetooth standard, maximising client device compatibility, and promises to provide uninterrupted streaming from distances up to 15m. A Secure Simple pairing system makes it easy to link the device to smartphones, with multipoint support providing simultaneous connection to two devices if required. The system draws its power from the USB output on all Bayan speaker docks, connecting to the 3.5mm input to provide the streamed audio to the dock's amplifiers.
Measuring just 38mm x 26mm x 32mm and weighing 14.5g, the compact dongle requires the specific layout of USB and audio jacks found on Bayan Audio products and is not directly compatible with third-party systems. The company has, however, promised a universal version for use with any speaker dock, which it claims will be launching some time early next year.
The Bayan StreamPort is to launch in the UK on the 25th of November, priced at £29.99.
Find a review
- Creative Sound Blaster headsets ready for the PS4
- Pure launches 4th generation Evoke D4 and Evoke D4 with Bluetooth radios
- Onkyo adds iOS-comaptible ES-CTI300 and IE-CTI300 to its headphone lineup
- Cambridge Audio launches matchbox-sized DacMagic XS
- Bang & Olufsen launches Beolab 17 speaker with WiSA wireless streaming
- Bose takes on Sonos with SoundTouch streaming system
- AKG launches £1,000 K812 reference headphones - hands on
- Sony High Resolution audio comes to the UK - hands on
- Philips Fidelio M1BT Bluetooth headphones go on sale today
- Sonos gains Amazon Cloud Player to instantly stream your purchased albums