Soundfreaq iPhone 5 and iPad 4-ready speaker docks to appear at CES 2013
Posted on 11 Dec 2012 at 10:33, by Gareth Halfacree
Soundfreaq has detailed some of the products it plans to launch at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January, with a focus on devices equipped with a Lightning port for Apple's latest smartphone and tablet devices.
Designed for use with the Apple iPhone 5, iPad 4 and iPad Mini, plus Apple's next-generation mobile devices as and when they are released, Soundfreaq's Sound Rise Lightning and Sound Step Lightning feature an in-built Lightning port for instant connection to Apple's mobile devices with no converter dongle required, while the Sound Platform 2 opts for a Bluetooth connection.
The Sound Platform 2 builds on its predecessor with enhanced bass response, better quality at high volume levels, and larger speaker drivers. The system also includes the ability to adjust tone and spatial enhancement through an on-board processor. Dual USB ports provide charging power to any mobile device - not just Apple products - while the device itself can be positioned horizontally or vertically in a universal device tray at the front of the dock. Connectivity comes courtesy of Bluetooth wireless radio, with a battery pack included for on-the-go use.
The Sound Rise Lightning, meanwhile, opts for the Lightning connector found in the iPhone 5, iPad 4 and iPad Mini. Designed to combine the functionality of an alarm clock with a speaker dock, the system includes a display showing the time and alarm settings, the Lightning connector, USB charging and 3.5mm input jack for non-Apple devices, and Bluetooth wireless connectivity.
Finally, the Sound Step includes the same Lightning port in a hefty amplifier system with on-board controls, a UQ3 audio processor with spacial sound enhancement, USB charging and headphone jack integration for non-Apple devices. Those looking for a more powerful unit can opt for the Sound Step Recharge, a near-identical model that adds in a rechargeable battery.
All four devices are to due to be officially unveiled at CES 2013 in January, with UK pricing yet to be confirmed ahead of an expected February 2013 launch.
Find a review
- Pure launches 4th generation Evoke D4 and Evoke D4 with Bluetooth radios
- Onkyo adds iOS-comaptible ES-CTI300 and IE-CTI300 to its headphone lineup
- Cambridge Audio launches matchbox-sized DacMagic XS
- Bang & Olufsen launches Beolab 17 speaker with WiSA wireless streaming
- Bose takes on Sonos with SoundTouch streaming system
- AKG launches £1,000 K812 reference headphones - hands on
- Sony High Resolution audio comes to the UK - hands on
- Philips Fidelio M1BT Bluetooth headphones go on sale today
- Sonos gains Amazon Cloud Player to instantly stream your purchased albums
- Bowers & Wilkins P7 over-ear headphones launched