Volkswagen Hover Car shown off
Posted on 3 May 2012 at 11:45, by Gareth Halfacree
Volkswagen has released the first glimpses of its possible future, as part of the People's Car Project.
Launched in China 11 months ago, the People's Car Project asked citizens to suggest designs for concept cars and new technologies through a web-based platform. Originally due to run for just one year, Volkswagen has found the PCP so successful it has been extended indefinitely.
"The People's Car Project in China marks the beginning of a new era in automobile design," claimed Volkswagen's Luca de Meo. "We are no longer just building cars for, but also with customers and at the same time initiating a national dialogue which gives us a deep insight into the design preferences, needs and requirements of Chinese customers."
The example concept products on show at Auto China 2012 include the Hover Car, an environmentally-friendly two-seater vehicle designed to float above the road using electromagnetic MagLev-style technology and the Music Car, which is fitted with organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) on its outer surface which constantly change in reaction to the driver's choice of music.
The company is also showcasing the Smart Key, a slim nine-millimetre key with a built-in high-resolution touch-screen display which provides feedback on fuel status, climate conditions and even the car's physical security through a 3G data connection.
Sadly, Volkswagen is unlikely to bring any of the concepts to life - at least, in the near future. "In a long-term context the findings of the People's Car Project will influence Volkswagen's product strategy," de Meo explained. "The design of our models will, however, continue to reflect the tradition of the Volkswagen brand. If at some time in the future we are to produce a vehicle from the People's Car Project, it will be a combination of customers' opinions and brand tradition."
Find a review
- Subaru WRX 2014 unveiled, no word yet as to UK availability
- Lexus CT 200h 2014 officially unveiled
- Hyundai Genesis 2014 UK launch heavily hinted
- Honda FCEV 2015 concept hints at future fuel cell plans
- Ford Edge SUV concept shows off high-technology capabilities
- Volvo V60 Polestar confirmed for UK launch
- Toyota eBay store launched for spares, parts and accessories
- Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid gets official low-emission grant status
- Nissan Qashqai 2014 claimed as "world's most parkable car"
- Ford Mustang 2014 UK model to be unveiled in December