Rimac Concept_One electric hypercar gets UK outing
Posted on 23 Jul 2012 at 10:38, by Gareth Halfacree
The organisers of Salon Privé, a supercar event held on the 6th-7th September in London's Syon Park, have confirmed that visitors will get the chance to see the Rimac Concept_One 'electric hyper-car' in action.
Designed by a team formerly of Italian styling house Pininfarina and top Bulgarian leatherworkers from Vilner, the Concept_One features a 92kWh battery connected to four sets of electric motors - one at each wheel. The result is a vehicle with the equivalent of 1,088bhp on demand, along with complete independent control of the power delivered to each wheel in a system Rimac calls All-Wheel Torque Vectoring (AWTV.)
The result: despite its all-electric nature, the Concept_One can reach 60mph from a standing start in a mere 2.8 seconds, features a top speed of 190mph and can travel 373 miles on a single charge.
"We started with a blank sheet of paper", claimed Mate Rimac, chief executive of Rimac Automobil, of his team's design work. "The idea was to create an exceptional supercar with a new propulsion concept. What we have here is a fully-fledged hypercar that is as powerful as a Bugatti, as stylish as a Ferrari, and as luxurious as a Mercedes, all while managing to forsake even the tiniest sip of gasoline."
The Salon Privé outing for the Concept_One will be the first time the vehicle has been on show in the UK, and for many will represent the only chance to see its design: while production models are planned, the Concept_One will be limited to just 88 models world-wide - and each model is to cost a massive $1 million.
Find a review
- HP SlateBook 10 X2 details revealed online ahead of official announcement
- BMW and Mini get Glympse in-car location sharing
- Ferrari FF to launch with Apple-powered infotainment system
- Audi self-driving, self-parking cars revealed
- Lexus not ready to commit to driverless cars, thinks assisted automation is the future
- Volkswagen recalls Beetles over airbag flaw
- Chargemaster launches Halo wireless vehicle charging trial
- Volvo promises 'smart' vehicles by 2016
- Fujitsu unveils world's first super-wide-angle 3D laser radar
- BYD e6 brings pure-electric option to greentomatocars' fleet