Nissan EXTREM concept takes Brazil as its inspiration
Posted on 23 Oct 2012 at 10:23, by Gareth Halfacree
Nissan has formally unveiled its latest concept vehicle, the EXTREM, designed to help young - and, the company points out, young-at-heart - drivers make a statement on the roads.
Due to be unveiled to the public tomorrow at the Sao Paulo International Motor Show, the Nissan EXTREM takes its design cues from Brazil and its people. "Brazil is a country of great natural beauty and it has a passionate, rich culture," claimed Shiro Nakamura, chief creative officer at Nissan. "But this is not always reflected in the cars on its streets, especially the more affordable locally produced vehicles which tend to be conservative in design, colour and specification.
"EXTREM, with a dynamic, high-character design, is far from conservative. It was created to appeal to the country's growing band of city-based young professionals who are passionate about design and want to make a personal statement. The lightweight two-door 2+2, has a dynamic stance, fresh surfacing, and a clear rugged ability to tackle the urban jungle everyday."
Created by Nissan Design America in San Diego, the EXTREM has a unique silhouette: the lower half of the body, combined with the vehicle's raised ground clearance, suggests sport utility vehicle (SUV strength while a sharply sloping roof line evokes a sporting intention. The vehicle's exterior also features wraparound glass, floating roof rails and detached C pillars to enhance the interior's feeling of an open and airy cabin. Six-spoke 19in alloy wheels complete the appearance, providing enhanced cooling to the brakes.
Beneath the bonnet is a Nissan DIG-T 1.6-litre petrol engine, a commercialised variant of the engine found in Nissan's DeltaWing Le Mans race car, while the design lends itself to either front-wheel or four-wheel drive with torque vectoring technology to improve handling.
Sadly, the EXTREM remains a concept for now with Nissan stating that it has no immediate plans to bring the design to production in Brazil or abroad.
Find a review
- Subaru WRX 2014 unveiled, no word yet as to UK availability
- Lexus CT 200h 2014 officially unveiled
- Hyundai Genesis 2014 UK launch heavily hinted
- Honda FCEV 2015 concept hints at future fuel cell plans
- Ford Edge SUV concept shows off high-technology capabilities
- Volvo V60 Polestar confirmed for UK launch
- Toyota eBay store launched for spares, parts and accessories
- Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid gets official low-emission grant status
- Nissan Qashqai 2014 claimed as "world's most parkable car"
- Ford Mustang 2014 UK model to be unveiled in December