Canon EOS-1D X confirmed for April launch
Posted on 28 Feb 2012 at 15:36, by Gareth Halfacree
Canon has confirmed a slight delay to its pro-grade EOS-1D X full-frame digital single-lens reflex (SLR) camera, moving a planned March launch back to April due to a mysterious "delay in development".
The tenth version of Canon's EOS-1D, the EOS-1D X has some impressive specifications: its full-frame sensor has an 18 megapixel resolution and dual DIGIC 5+ image processors for top-end clarity; the metering sensor has been overhauled to include 100,000 pixel detection and full Red, Green, Blue (RGB) monitoring; and the autofocus system now includes a wide-area mode with a staggering 61 focus points.
As with Canon's other high-end cameras, the EOS-1D X includes Full HD 1920x1080 video recording with full manual control of exposure and audio levels.
Originally planned for a March launch, Canon has now pushed that date back to the end of April for the UK, due to an unspecified delay. As well as the camera body, various accessories planned for launch at the same time - including the GP-E1 GPS receiver for image geotagging, EC-CV focusing screen and WFT-E6B wireless file transfer system - have been delayed accordingly.
Initial indications are that the camera could be worth the wait: the new sensor has an ISO range between 100 to 51,200 - expandable to 204,800 - for image capture in extremely low-light conditions while a 16-channel read-out allows the dual DIGIC 5+ processors to reduce noise at continuous shooting speeds of up to 12 frames per second in RAW format or 14 frames per second in JPEG format.
Such performance doesn't come cheap, of course. Sitting at the very top end of Canon's EOS range, the 1D has always been a premium proposition and its tenth generation is no different. At launch, Canon has confirmed that the EOS-1D X will cost £5,299 including VAT in body only form.
Find a review
- Lytro Illum light-field digital camera announced
- Eyefi Cloud uploads your photos as you snap them
- Canon EOS 100D White announced, complete with matching white kit lens
- Pentax 645Z medium format DSLR revealed with 51.4-megapixel sensor
- Samsung invite hints at Galaxy S5 Zoom announcement, Galaxy K name change
- Panasonic Spring deals - Great freebies for GH3, GH4, GX7 and GM1
- Autographer Android app released - Capture your life with Google devices
- Up to £200 off a new Samsung camera with trade-in promo
- Olympus Stylus SH-1 compact camera takes inspiration from PEN range
- Exclusive: Samsung NX Mini camera UK price confirmed