Polaroid announces XS100, XS20, XS7 action cameras
Posted on 2 Oct 2012 at 09:07, by Gareth Halfacree
Polaroid, a company once known for its self-developing camera line, has announced its latest product: a family of high-definition action cameras.
The Polaroid XS100, the range-topping entry in the XS line-up, comes equipped with a 170-degree wide-angle lens in front of a sensor capable of capturing 720p, 960p or Full HD 1080p video along with three megapixel, five megapixel or 16 megapixel still images. The outer case is shockproof, dust-proof and waterproof to a depth of ten metres, and includes a control system with single-button record - designed, Polaroid explains, to be easy to operate even when wearing gloves.
Internally, the camera includes an accelerometer sensor designed to automatically rotate the recording to keep the image level when the camera is tilting or rocking. The camera also records two video formats simultaneously: one high-resolution version for maximum quality, and one low-resolution version for quicker uploading and sharing.
Below the XS100 is the XS20. A similar, but more compact, design to the XS100, the XS20 is capable of 720p video recording and five megapixel still image capture - a significant downgrade from its bigger brother. The XS20 brings some features of its own to the table, however, including a casing that allows for submersion up to 20 metres - double that of the XS100 - and a ring of eight LEDs for low-light shooting. The XS20 also includes a motion sensor for use as a security or wildlife camera.
Finally, the compact XS7 looks more like a traditional camera. Its fixed-focus lens hides the same 720p/5 megapixel sensor of the XS20 includes a removable waterproof casing capable of operating in depths of up to 10m. The rear also includes a small LCD for image review and framing - something missing from the point-and-hope XS20 and XS100.
All three models include both helmet and handlebar mounts in the box, and are capable of recording at 30 frames per second - although the XS100 adds 60fps recording as an additional feature. UK pricing has yet to be confirmed, with Polaroid setting US recommended retail pricing at $199.99 for the XS100, $99.99 for the XS20, and $69.99 for the XS7 (around £124, £62 and £43 respectively, excluding taxes.)
Find a review
- Eyefi Cloud uploads your photos as you snap them
- Canon EOS 100D White announced, complete with matching white kit lens
- Pentax 645Z medium format DSLR revealed with 51.4-megapixel sensor
- Samsung invite hints at Galaxy S5 Zoom announcement, Galaxy K name change
- Panasonic Spring deals - Great freebies for GH3, GH4, GX7 and GM1
- Autographer Android app released - Capture your life with Google devices
- Up to £200 off a new Samsung camera with trade-in promo
- Olympus Stylus SH-1 compact camera takes inspiration from PEN range
- Exclusive: Samsung NX Mini camera UK price confirmed
- 4K-ready Panasonic Lumix GH4 CSC UK price and release date revealed