Canon EOS M compact system camera hits the UK
Posted on 31 Oct 2012 at 09:58, by Gareth Halfacree
Canon's compact-system EOS M camera has officially launched in the UK, with the first orders opening today.
Based around an 18 megapixel APS-C-sized CMOS sensor tied in to Canon's DIGIC 5 image processing system, the EOS M is designed to fend off competition from rival compact-system cameras. The first to feature Canon's new EF-M lens mounting system, the camera isn't compatible with existing Canon lenses out of the box but requires a mount adapter, sold separately, to connect to EF-format lenses.
Claimed to offer the quality of a Canon EOS digital SLR in a compact body, the camera includes Full HD video recording with ISO 100-6,400 or expanded 12,800 and high-resolution still shooting at ISO 100-12,800 expandable to 25,600. Aperture control for bokeh effects - where the background is out of focus compared to the foreground - is included, with control managed via a 3in high-resolution ClearView LCD II touch-screen display at the rear.
With its high ISO sensitivity, Canon promises great low-light photography from the compact EOS M but is also bundling a speedlite flash with the package alongside an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-M-mount kit lens. Those who find the kit lens inadequate will also be given the option of an EF-M 22mm f/2 STM pancake lens, with other lenses expected to launch in the near future.
Available to buy now in black, white, silver or red finishes, the EOS M is priced at £769.99 in kit form with the 22mm pancake lens costing an additional £229.99 and the EF-EOS M mount adapter £129.99.
Find a review
- Eyefi Cloud uploads your photos as you snap them
- Canon EOS 100D White announced, complete with matching white kit lens
- Pentax 645Z medium format DSLR revealed with 51.4-megapixel sensor
- Samsung invite hints at Galaxy S5 Zoom announcement, Galaxy K name change
- Panasonic Spring deals - Great freebies for GH3, GH4, GX7 and GM1
- Autographer Android app released - Capture your life with Google devices
- Up to £200 off a new Samsung camera with trade-in promo
- Olympus Stylus SH-1 compact camera takes inspiration from PEN range
- Exclusive: Samsung NX Mini camera UK price confirmed
- 4K-ready Panasonic Lumix GH4 CSC UK price and release date revealed