Will.i.am i.am+ iPhone camera module announced
Posted on 23 Nov 2012 at 10:53, by Gareth Halfacree
Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.i.am has announced plans to sell his own brand of iPhone accessories, designed - in the star's own words - to "turn your smartphone into a genius-phone."
The first product in the line-up, dubbed i.am+, is an add-on camera for Apple's iPhone product line designed to boost the quality of captured images. The add-on module, which clips onto the back of the iPhone, provides a 14 megapixel sensor and higher-quality flash than the one provided with the iPhone's own eight megapixel camera.
"We have our own sensor and a better flash. You dock you phone into our device and it turns you smartphone into a genius-phone," Will.i.am told The Telegraph of his creation. "We take over the camera."
To help boost the appeal of his creation, Will.i.am isn't above using his career contacts: the device can be seen in the music video for Scream and Shout, a collaborative single created in partnership with Britney Spears for Will.i.am's solo album #willpower. Whether this will actually result in increased sales or not remains to be seen.
This isn't Will.i.am's first foray into the world of technology: the singer-songwriter was appointed Director of Creative Innovation at Intel in 2011, and has appeared in hologram form to discuss the 2008 US election. One of his songs, Reach for the Stars, was even chosen by Nasa to be broadcast from its Curiosity Rover when it landed on Mars earlier this year.
Will.i.am's i.am+ camera add-on is due to launch next week in an exclusive deal with Selfridges, with more products promised to follow. Pricing information has yet to be disclosed.
Find a review
- Panasonic Lumix GH4 review - hands on with the 4K camera
- Samsung MX Mini compact system camera leaks ahead of expected March release date
- Nikon D4S HD-DSLR unveiled
- Canon EOS 1200D entry-level DSLR camera launched with tutorial app
- Sony H400 review - Hands on with the 63x zoom bridge camera
- Sony A6000 review – Hands on
- Panasonic GH4 - 4K video specs announced
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 review - Hands on
- Olympus SP-100 Eagle Eyes - we shoot images with a Red Dot gunsight
- Canon PowerShot N100 review - Hands on