Fujifilm X-M1 compact system camera launched
Posted on 25 Jun 2013 at 10:20, by Gareth Halfacree
Fujifilm has introduced the X-M1, a compact system camera (CSC) which uses the same APS-C sized X-Trans CMOS sensor as the company's high-end X-Pro1.
With a 16.3 megapixel resolution, the large sensor apparently produces stills similar to that of a high-end full-frame sensor, thanks to a colour filter array designed to minimise moiré patterning and chromatic abberation, without the need for an optical low-pass filter. The result is a compact camera that supports native sensitivity up to ISO 6,400, adjustable in 1/3 step increments, and extended support to ISO 25,600 for low-light shooting.
As well as still photography, the camera is capable of recording Full HD 1,920x1,080 video at 30 frames per second, with in-body effect options including bokeh background blurring and monochrome filming.
The sensor is paired with Fujifilm's EXR Processor II image processor, starting up in half a second. Shutter lag is measured at 0.05 seconds, with a peak burst speed of 5.6 frames per second, sustainable for up to 30 frames.
Based on a similar design to the X-Pro1 and X-E1, the X-M1 is just 39mm deep and weighs 330g, despite its large sensor size. Other highlights include a 3in display with tilt at the rear, built-in flash, hot-shoe connector, and integrated Wi-Fi connectivity for image upload and sharing.
The camera will include a bundled XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS kit lens here in the UK, which has a 24mm-76mm focal equivalent.
The X-M1 bundle is due to go on sale at the end of July for £679.99. It will be joined by a new X Mount XF 27mm f/2.8 lens in August, with pricing yet to be confirmed.
Find a review
- Lytro Illum light-field digital camera announced
- Eyefi Cloud uploads your photos as you snap them
- Canon EOS 100D White announced, complete with matching white kit lens
- Pentax 645Z medium format DSLR revealed with 51.4-megapixel sensor
- Samsung invite hints at Galaxy S5 Zoom announcement, Galaxy K name change
- Panasonic Spring deals - Great freebies for GH3, GH4, GX7 and GM1
- Autographer Android app released - Capture your life with Google devices
- Up to £200 off a new Samsung camera with trade-in promo
- Olympus Stylus SH-1 compact camera takes inspiration from PEN range
- Exclusive: Samsung NX Mini camera UK price confirmed