Xbox One delayed to 2014 in selected countries, Microsoft admits
Posted on 15 Aug 2013 at 11:46, by Gareth Halfacree
Microsoft has confirmed that it will have fewer Xbox One consoles ready for its launch date later this year than expected, and has accordingly delayed its release in selected countries until 2014.
The company's original plan was to release its next-generation games consoles in 21 countries towards the end of this year. High levels of pre-orders - significantly above those made for the last-generation Xbox 360 during the same period of its release cycle - mean that the company is now being forced to delay the release until it can get more units produced in its factories.
The result is that only 13 countries will be seeing the Xbox One this side of 2014 - but the good news is the UK has made the grade. The other countries confirmed for a pre-Christmas launch are Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, the United States and New Zealand.
The countries that had been promised a 2013 launch but are now seeing the release dalyed are Belgium, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland. Microsoft has yet to provide a formal launch date for these countries, except to state that it will be "as soon as possible next year."
To help make up for disappointment, those who have already placed a pre-order for the console in the aforementioned countries will now receive a bonus game at no extra charge - although the company has not yet confirmed what the game will be.
Find a review
- Xbox One bundle slashed to £329, but are price drops alone enough to improve sales?
- £90 Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition - What's in the box?
- Watch Dogs shows off first multiplayer footage in new trailer
- Skylanders Trap Team announced for PS4 and Xbox One along with FIFTY new characters
- Destiny - Bungie - Beta, release date, trailer, news and rumours
- Nvidia Shield 2 spotted in benchmark listings
- Xbox One sales trail PS4 by two million, admits Microsoft
- PS4 firmware 1.70 features announced as Sony struggles to cope with demand
- Download Hearthstone on iPad now - Link here!
- Minecraft for PS3 getting full Blu-ray disc release