Build your dream home with your PC
Posted on 23 Feb 2012 at 13:25, by Expert Reviews Staff
In this time of financial uncertainly, many people are considering extending their home rather than moving. Meanwhile, others are throwing caution to the wind, selling up and investing all the time and money they can muster into building their own 'Grand Design'. Architectural design has always been a two-way process between the architect and client, but today's tools make that dialogue more fluent than ever. So if you've got a flair for architecture that's been dormant since your days playing with Lego, it's time to fire up your imagination – and your PC – and get designing.
Here at Expert Reviews we often investigate how home computers can make complex and expensive tasks more accessible, whether it's setting up an online business or making your own movie. But even these ambitious projects pale into insignificance compared to designing and building your own home. The stakes couldn't be higher – not just in the hundreds of thousands of pounds you're likely to invest but also in the ramifications. If the design and build is successful, you'll end up with the home you always wanted and a great return on the financial investment you made. If it goes wrong, you could end up with a home that you hate, and one that you're unable to sell.
We don't want to get too melodramatic and put everyone off before we've started, though. This feature explores the process and pitfalls of building a new home, but most of the issues apply equally to extensions and renovations.
Whatever your aspirations, the key to a successful build is meticulous planning. Considering all the possibilities in advance means that, when work begins on site, there won't be any need for last-minute changes that push the price up and the completion date back.
For more details about purchasing this feature and/or images for editorial usage, please contact Jasmine Samra on email@example.com
Find a review
- Apple iOS 7.1 update officially released with CarPlay support
- Titanfall - Review Roundup, Price, Download & DLC, Xbox One, PC spec, Release date and News
- All new HTC One 2014 edition (M8) specs, price, release date, news & rumours
- 4K-ready Panasonic Lumix GH4 CSC UK price and release date revealed
- All new HTC One (2014) lite brite-style flip cover spotted
- Google Android SDK for smartwatches and wearables arriving this month
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat OTA update
- Samsung Milk Music launched for Galaxy S5, some older handsets
- Wolfenstein: The New Order review - hands on
- Razer develops new mechanical keyboard switch just for gaming