Build your dream home with your PC
Posted on 23 Feb 2012 at 13:25, by Expert Reviews Staff
In this time of financial uncertainly, many people are considering extending their home rather than moving. Meanwhile, others are throwing caution to the wind, selling up and investing all the time and money they can muster into building their own 'Grand Design'. Architectural design has always been a two-way process between the architect and client, but today's tools make that dialogue more fluent than ever. So if you've got a flair for architecture that's been dormant since your days playing with Lego, it's time to fire up your imagination – and your PC – and get designing.
Here at Expert Reviews we often investigate how home computers can make complex and expensive tasks more accessible, whether it's setting up an online business or making your own movie. But even these ambitious projects pale into insignificance compared to designing and building your own home. The stakes couldn't be higher – not just in the hundreds of thousands of pounds you're likely to invest but also in the ramifications. If the design and build is successful, you'll end up with the home you always wanted and a great return on the financial investment you made. If it goes wrong, you could end up with a home that you hate, and one that you're unable to sell.
We don't want to get too melodramatic and put everyone off before we've started, though. This feature explores the process and pitfalls of building a new home, but most of the issues apply equally to extensions and renovations.
Whatever your aspirations, the key to a successful build is meticulous planning. Considering all the possibilities in advance means that, when work begins on site, there won't be any need for last-minute changes that push the price up and the completion date back.
For more details about purchasing this feature and/or images for editorial usage, please contact Jasmine Samra on firstname.lastname@example.org
Find a review
- iOS 8 release date, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system
- Shocking! Nokia stops European sales of Lumia 2520 tablet
- BBC iPlayer and Sky Go not working on iPhone and iPad
- Lenovo expands Flex hybrid laptop family with Full HD Flex 2 models
- Pioneer adds Apple CarPlay to five existing in-car multimedia systems
- Sonos cuts the cord, eliminates need to wire in first speaker in a system
- Eyefi Cloud uploads your photos as you snap them
- iOS 8 could get Shazam integration for Siri song recognition
- Virgin Media cock-up bombards customers with spam emails
- Leaked iPhone 6 battery images potentially confirm bigger screen rumours