Top 10 worst hardware box art
Posted on 2 Nov 2012 at 17:42, by Tom Morgan
4. MSI Q965MDO
We've spent a lot of time criticising over the top box art, but there's a point where it's clear the manufacturer has just given up on trying. MSI's Q965MDO box looks like it was thrown together using Microsoft Clip-Art - we get that it's targeting business users, but if we spend any more time looking at it we'll put ourselves to sleep.
3. HERCULES 3D PROPHET 9500 PRO
We're going to go out on a limb and guess the box art designer working at Hercules when the 9500 Pro launched was a big fan of Batman. The blue demon seen here is the spitting image of the Joker - it's hard to imagine there wasn't some kind of lawsuit. The combination of tribal symbols laid over printed circuit boards is pretty odd too.
2. AXLE GEFORCE G210
If you haven't spotted the one formula every single graphics card manufacturer seems to have tried at least once, it goes something like this. Robots on the box are good, a woman on the box is better, but combine the two and you'll sell a boatload of graphics cards. At least, that was the plan, but if you try searching Scan for the latest Axle 3D card, you'll be sorely disappointed.
The god-awful lingerie/armour hybrid being worn in this example is yet again completely useless for actual combat, yet whatever future-army she's part of seems to be cool with accessorising the uniform - check out the neck bling.
1. PNY GEFORCE FX 5200
But it's PNY that takes the cake with this Geforce FX 5200 box. It ticks pretty much every single box art trope: Futuristic wasteland background? check. Cyborgs? check. Flames and explosions? check. Attractive woman? We can only see her lips, but we're going to tick that one off too. It even looks like the "skin" is melting off the android's body, giving it that extra surreal twist. Bravo, PNY. Bravo.
This one still lingers in my retinas...
By Ben_Pitt on 2 Nov 2012
For more details about purchasing this feature and/or images for editorial usage, please contact Jasmine Samra on email@example.com
Find a review
- Xbox One DRM restrictions lifted, but useful features get the axe too
- UK ISPs offer £1m to help IWF crack down on child porn
- Ex-HTC managers set up Kazam smartphone manufacturer
- Huawei Ascend P6 review - hands-on
- AQ Audio launches SmartSpeaker A2
- Huawei Ascend P6 officially launched
- Sharp launches 90in AQUOS LC-L90LE757, officially Europe's largest LED TV
- Google increases Chromebook push in UK
- Google balloon internet takes to the skies in project loon
- New Nexus 7 running Android 4.3 listed with FCC