Top 10 live-action Disney films (that prove Star Wars is in safe hands)
Posted on 9 Nov 2012 at 16:15, by Tom Morgan
2. FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR
Flight of the Navigator was one of the first films to use CGI effects as well as traditional model and puppetry work and the overall effect has aged surprisingly well. With its combination of artificially intelligent alien spacecraft, the young protagonist losing several years of his life due to the effects of faster than light travel and ruthless government forces, Flight of the Navigator deals with some complex concepts while still being an exciting family film. More of this, please.
Again balancing adult themes with child-friendly action, it was pitched exactly where we would hope a new Star Wars film might be. Although anyone that watched the original trilogy in the cinema has long since grown up, each film was always designed to appeal to new audiences as well as existing fans - it would be a mistake to ignore this with a new trilogy, so we're counting on Disney to get the balance right.
1. THE AVENGERS
If there's one group that's more rabid and protective of its subject matter than Star Wars fans, it's comic book fans. Turning beloved comic book characters into big-screen movie heroes can be a recipe for disaster (Daredevil and Green Lantern jump to mind) but Disney proved it knew what it was doing with The Avengers. Wisely putting it in the hands of Joss Whedon, it became one of the biggest blockbusters of all time and received almost unanimous praise.
With so much source material, there's little doubt that a similarly passionate director would be able to work wonders with the Star Wars license. It's one of the greatest movie franchises of all time, so Disney would have no qualms throwing money at the project, getting the biggest name stars and most mind-blowing special effects you could imagine.
For more details about purchasing this feature and/or images for editorial usage, please contact Jasmine Samra on email@example.com
Find a review
- Google Nexus 8 - specs, release date, news and price rumours
- Amazon Prime Instant Video nabs ENTIRE HBO back-catalogue
- Apple TV could get Siri voice controls in next update
- iPhone 6 pictured in concept renders based on current rumour round-up
- Google finally releases YouTube app for ALL Roku media streamers
- Windows 8.2 rumours hint at a return for the Start menu, Windows 9 cold be cloud-based and free
- China looks for extra XP support in talks with Microsoft
- Leaked images show iOS 8 running on Apple iPhone 5s
- iWatch could replace iPod, Apple not expected to update its MP3 player this year
- iPhone 6 price, specs, release date rumours - 4.7in and 5.5in screen sizes and a better camera