Top 10 tech predictions for 2013
Posted on 18 Jan 2013 at 14:52, by Expert Reviews Staff
4. GOOGLE GLASS ARRIVES
Google Glass is Google's plan for an augmented reality headband that feeds info directly to your eyes via a heads-up display while recording everything you see with a view to sharing it with your contacts.
You've probably seen the achingly hipsterish video, but the applications are interesting. Navigation is a given, as are location-aware notifications of transport disruption. Marketeers are bound to jump on it too, as they realise the benefit of having a special offer pop up in your field of vision as you pass a certain shop.
As always, though, it'll be up to the world's army of developers to find the most interesting uses for the Glass - the first lucky programmers will have their hands on the developer headbands in the next couple of months.
3. ANDROID SMART CAMERAS
Combining the image quality of a digital camera with the flexibility of a smartphone operating system like Android is nothing new - both Samsung and Nikon released Android-powered point-and-shoot cameras last year. However, this is just the beginning - we're fully expecting Android to make its way into more powerful devices in 2013, including interchangeable lens CSCs and even digital SLRs.
Wi-Fi enabled cameras are beating traditional models in terms of sales thanks to instant uploads to Facebook and Twitter, while smartphones let you apply filters and colour presets quickly before sharing them online. Android-powered cameras give you the best of both worlds, and we reckon that you'll be seeing lots of models this year - maybe an Apple camera could even be in the offing?
For more details about purchasing this feature and/or images for editorial usage, please contact Jasmine Samra on email@example.com
Find a review
- iOS 8 release date, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system
- Shocking! Nokia stops European sales of Lumia 2520 tablet
- BBC iPlayer and Sky Go not working on iPhone and iPad
- Lenovo expands Flex hybrid laptop family with Full HD Flex 2 models
- Pioneer adds Apple CarPlay to five existing in-car multimedia systems
- Sonos cuts the cord, eliminates need to wire in first speaker in a system
- Eyefi Cloud uploads your photos as you snap them
- iOS 8 could get Shazam integration for Siri song recognition
- Virgin Media cock-up bombards customers with spam emails
- Leaked iPhone 6 battery images potentially confirm bigger screen rumours