Review Roundup: Bargain HP Chromebook, new iMac and Surface Pro 2, Sky HD vs Virgin TiVo plus much more
Posted on 1 Nov 2013 at 19:00, by Seth Barton
Our weekly round-up covers the best and most exciting reviews on the site this week
Many of us now do all our computing through a browser, and if that describes you then the £229 HP Chromebook 11 may be all the computer you need. Despite the low price, the design is good and it feels well built too, with a decent screen and keyboard. At almost half the price of a tablet, this is the future for laptops.
Alternatively, if you want a tablet and still want proper Windows then look no further than the Microsoft Surface Pro 2. It's a tablet, but add a Type Cover and it becomes a laptop-hybrid and plug it into a monitor, keyboard and mouse and you have a decent PC. The ultimate all-rounder and what Windows 8 was designed for.
If you're looking for the best possible range of TV content plus a brilliant PVR on which to run it, then you have to read our Sky HD vs Virgin Media TiVo shootout. We look at every aspect of these services, from image quality to content, catch-up to PVR functions. This comprehensive article will answer all your queries.
Apple continues to make some of the best laptops and all-in-one PCs around. the Apple 21.5-inch iMac (Late 2013) has the same super-sleek aluminium shell but inside has been upgraded with an Intel Haswell processor. It remains one of the best home computers you can buy.
There was a time when Photoshop Elements was our first choice for home photo editing, but the new Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 has some stiff competition both from free packages and its own stablemate Lightroom. We see if it's still the best to buy.
While Nintendo's Wii U has been struggling, its handheld 3DS has gone from strength to strength, with an enviable back catalogue of software. Now the new Nintendo 2DS drops the price of entry below £100 by removing the 3D feature. It looks likely to fly off shelves this Christmas.
Speaking of Christmas, now might be a good time to take stock of your finances, and you can get a helping hand with the excellent You Need A Budget 4. This simple-to-use home accounting software will let you know exactly where you stand.
Find a review
- Virgin Media boosting internet speeds for all customers - up to 152Mbit/s
- Expert Reviews - Best of MWC 2014 - Award Winners
- MWC 2014: In-depth, hands-on coverage from our team in Barcelona
- Competition: Win Ice skating passes for Canary Wharf Ice Rink
- UK government launches Cyber Streetwise online safety campaign
- Expert Reviews - Best of CES 2014 - Award Winners
- CES 2014: In-depth, hands-on coverage from our team in Las Vegas
- Scan Steam Box - more details emerge
- Withings Aura aims to help you sleep and wake better
- JANUARY SALE - 50% off all Dennis technology magazines