Government to give away free laptops
Posted on 13 Jan 2010 at 11:11, by Alan Lu
The Government has announced details of its scheme to provide free laptops and internet access to low income families that currently lack internet access at home.
The Government's Home Access programme aims to ensure every child in the UK has access to a computer and internet access at home. The programme will initially target children in school years 3 to 9 from low-income families. Those that meet certain eligibility criteria, such as receiving free school meals or certain benefits, can apply for a Home Access grant that will cover the cost of a computer, basic software, internet access for one year and three years technical support.
The Government justifies the Home Access programme, claiming that children with internet access at home achieve higher GCSE grades than those who do not. The Home Access programme had been trialed in Oldham and Suffolk in early 2009.
Although the Conservative Party has backed the international One Laptop Per Child programme to provide laptops to children in the developing world, it's unknown if the Tories would continue the Home Access programme if they come to power.
Families can register for a grant application form by calling 0333 200 1004 between 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 1pm on Saturday. Further details are also available online at the Home Access website.
Find a review
- Samsung Chromebook 2 announced with faux leather lid, Full HD display
- Sony sells PC division, spins off TV arm
- Goodbye VAIO? Sony may sell PC and laptop division to focus on smartphones
- Sony VAIO Fit multi-flip 11 review - hands on
- Nvidia Tegra K1 review - Hands on with new 'Super Chip'
- New Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon review - hands on
- Gigabyte Aurus X7 revealed as the slimmest dual GPU laptop in the world
- CES 2014: In-depth, hands-on coverage from our team in Las Vegas
- Samsung Ativ Book 9 updated with Haswell CPUs, Full HD touchscreen
- Asus Transformer Book Duet TD300 runs Android and Windows, switches at any time