Sky+ app for iPad introduces remote control
Posted on 15 Aug 2012 at 14:47, by Nate Anderson
Keeping true to a promise made last month, today Sky announced an update to the Sky+ app for the iPad that will enable customers to use the tablet as a TV remote control. In Sky's YouTube video the remote is shown to be ultra user-friendly, with an interface that allows you to change channels, pause, rewind, or fast-forward programs using the iPad touchscreen.
The application provides interactive access to Sky's new TV guide, enabling customers to select or save programs to watch now or later. The guide also allows users to select channels based on genre or to search by name.
Sky has said that its partnership with Zeebox will bring further enhancements to the app later this year. Customers can expect to have "second screen experience" options, with the ability to interact with their friends and other TV watchers through Twitter feeds integrated into the app.
According to Luke Bradley Jones, the Brand Director for TV Products at Sky, “We’re now taking the Sky+ experience one step further, handing our customers even more control over their planner - not to mention being able to use the app to change channel and play, pause and rewind their favourite TV.”
In order to use the application, both the iPad and Sky+ HD box must be connected to the same broadband network. Sky has not commented on when or if this app will be made available on Android devices.
Find a review
- New Sony 4K media player comes with 4K Netflix and 200 movie library
- Google working on Android TV - the successor to Google TV you actually want?
- BT Sport app confirmed for Google Chromecast
- One Chromecast sold every 4.5 seconds on UK launch
- Google Chromecast out now in the UK for £30
- Roku Streaming Stick launched to rival Google's Chromecast
- Roku revamps range with three new media streamers
- Sony Smart Stick confirmed as Google TV-equipped Chromecast rival
- Google Nexus Q media streamer killed off?
- Microsoft Xbox TV rumoured for 2013 launch