Roth AV launches Roth.2 SOF-a hands-free Bluetooth system
Posted on 9 Nov 2012 at 10:04, by Gareth Halfacree
Roth AV has announced its first Bluetooth-enabled hands-free speakerphone system: the Roth.2 SOF-a.
Designed as part of the company's effort to break out of its traditional audio-centric market, the SOF-a is acts as a traditional Bluetooth-connected speaker for smartphones, tablets and PCs. Audio streams played through the speaker are amplified automatically, but it's when a call is received on a connected smartphone that the device departs from Roth's usual offerings.
When used with a smartphone, the SOF-a responds to incoming calls by slowly fading the volume and replacing it with the phone's ringtone. Users can then either answer the phone as normal, or press the SOF-a's hands-free button to engage the in-built echo- and noise-cancelling microphone.
As well as the Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR radio system, the Roth.2 SOF-a includes a 3.5mm stereo jack for devices with no Bluetooth support and a 1,000mA USB output for charging smartphones or tablets automatically - although this does not provide audio transfer capabilities. The in-built amplifier offers two 5W audio channels connected to in-built speakers in the angled casing.
"When designing SOF-a we realised that rival products appear to underestimate the buying public – just because a hands-free speaker doesn’t cost three figures, doesn’t mean it must sound like a wasp trapped in a paper bag," Roth AV's founder James Roth said at the product launch. "The SOF-a won’t replace your £1000 hi-fi, but for the money it’s a seriously useful addition to your home's tech armoury."
The Roth.2 SOF-a is available now, priced at £49.99.
Find a review
- JBL Authentics L16 and L8 Wireless Speakers want to take over your living room
- Philips Fidelio E2 speakers, Bluetooth Foldies headphones bring the noise
- Bang & Olufsen launches Beolab 17 speaker with WiSA wireless streaming
- AQ Audio launches SmartSpeaker A2
- Loewe Speaker 2go launched - hands on
- Logic3 unveils new Ferrari Cavallino T350 headphones, Scuderia FS1 speaker dock
- Bayan and Radiopaq announce 3XL and QX1 speaker and headphone bundle
- Roth OLi POWA-5 brings Bluetooth support to monitor range
- Hands on: Philips Wireless Hi-Fi speakers