Android 4.2, Windows Phone 8 hit by numerous bug reports
Posted on 20 Nov 2012 at 10:00, by Gareth Halfacree
Users who have upgraded to the latest mobile devices are being plagued with glitches in the next-generation operating systems, with Google's Android 4.2 Jelly Bean software particularly badly hit by bugs.
Users who managed to get hold of an LG-manufactured Nexus 4 smartphone or Samsung-manufactured Nexus 10 tablet, along with those who have installed the Android 4.2 update on their existing Nexus 7 or Galaxy Nexus device, have run into problems including random reboots several times a day. Other bugs include a flaw in the People contact-saving app which removes the month of December entirely, preventing birthdays in that month from being added, application crashes, and problems with Bluetooth connection stability and the automatic brightness sensor which appear at present to be limited to the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus devices.
Google, for its part, has confirmed the existence of some of the bugs - including the missing December issue - and promises that the flaws are being investigated. For those who splashed out on the latest and greatest hardware, however - beating digital queues that saw both the 8GB and 16GB versions of the Nexus 4 sell out on the morning of the launch world-wide - fixes can't come soon enough.
For Windows Phone 8 users, the list of flaws is smaller but no less irritating. Selected handsets, including HTC's Windows Phone 8X device, are reporting issues with synchronising email and random reboots - the same problem facing Android 4.2 users. Microsoft has confirmed that it is investigating the problem reports from its users, but has yet to confirm the glitch or offer a timescale for repair.
Find a review
- iPhone 6 could use curved glass front panel
- iPhone Air – What does the iPhone 6 have in common with Bigfoot?
- Android ad traffic overtakes iOS for the first time
- iPhone 6 case compared with 5s, Nexus 5 in video leak
- HTC One (m8) leaked in red, headed to the US on Verizon first
- Latest iPhone 6 rumour points to curved display, all aluminium chassis
- iPhone 6 pictured in concept renders based on current rumour round-up
- Leaked images show iOS 8 running on Apple iPhone 5s
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom cameraphone pictured ahead of official reveal
- iOS 8 release date, screenshots, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system