LG Optimus G Pro 5in Full HD smartphone announced
Posted on 23 Jan 2013 at 09:05, by Gareth Halfacree
LG has confirmed that it is to launch an upgraded version of its Optimus G Android smartphone, dubbed the Optimus G Pro.
Confirmed in full by Japanese network partner NTT Docomo, the Optimus G Pro has a raft of improvements over its predecessor including a more powerful 1.7GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, a 5in high-resolution 1,920x1,080 screen compared to the original's 1,280x768 4.7in display, and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean as standard.
Not everything has changed, however: the device will still use 2GB of RAM and up to 32GB of internal storage, which can be upgraded using a micro-SD card slot. The system also supports the Mobile High-definition Link (MHL) standard for transmission of video and sound to a compatible device over the charging cable, along with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 and Long Term Evolution (LTE) connectivity and support for Near Field Communications (NFC).
With the LG-manufactured Nexus 4 handset selling well - a little too well, in fact, with stock shortages continuing to prove an issue despite promises from LG that manufacturing is being ramped up to meet demand - fans of the company's design will be interested to see what the Optimus G Pro brings, but thus far the company is silent on its plans for an international release with the device due to début in Japan in April.
More information on the Optimus G Pro, including the likelihood of the gadget seeing a UK launch later this year, are expected to appear from LG at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) event in Feburary.
Find a review
- Amazon smartphone reportedly leaked ahead of official announcement
- Android 4.4.3 update available NOW on the Nexus 5
- Galaxy S5 teardown suggests Samsung makes $394 profit on every handset
- Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview is free - and here's how to get it
- Apple iPhone 6 WILL have 4.7in screen
- Leaked icons could be our first look at the upcoming Android Moonshine redesign
- HTC One to get Sense UI 6.0 upgrade in May
- Apple iPhone 6 could come with $100 price hike
- Cheaper HTC One M8 could ditch metal for plastic, just like iPhone 5c
- HTC One (m8) mini release date expected for May