Nokia Lumia 510 Windows Phone 7.8 handset heading to the UK
Posted on 24 Jan 2013 at 10:12, by Gareth Halfacree
Nokia's cheap and cheerful Lumia 510 Windows Phone handset looks set to arrive on British shores soon, hot on the heels of the budget-friendly Lumia 620.
Designed to sit towards the bottom end of Nokia's Lumia line-up, the Lumia 510 was launched in October last year in other nations but never made it across to the UK. Behind a 4in 480x800 display is a single-core ARM-based 800MHz processor, 256MB of RAM and 4GB of internal storage - all, it must be noted, significantly below the specification of even the low-end Lumia 620, and certainly not a patch on the company's flagship Lumia 920 device.
The corners cut to bring the handset to as low a price level as possible continue with the software: as the -10 suffix suggests, the Lumia 510 is provided with the last-generation Windows Phone 7.5 operating system, rather than the latest Windows Phone 8 release common to all Lumia handsets with a -20 suffix. According to early details released by UK mobile seller Phones 4U, this may receive a pre-launch upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 - a partial upgrade designed to port some of the features of Windows Phone 8 backwards to handsets designed for Windows Phone 7.5.
The remainder of the smartphone's specifications remain unsurprising: a reasonable-resolution five megapixel camera with autofocus lens appears on the back, while connectivity is provided by Bluetooth 2.1 with Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) capabilities, Wi-Fi, GPS and a micro-USB connector for data and charging purposes.
Although Phones 4U described the handset as impending, temporarily listing it in the 'Coming Soon' section of its website before removing it from view, the company has yet to provide a firm launch date or pricing - but expect the handset to sit well below the cost of the Lumia 620 and other Windows Phone 8-based smartphones.
Find a review
- Apple iOS 7.1 update officially released with CarPlay support
- All new HTC One 2014 edition (M8) specs, price, release date, news & rumours
- All new HTC One (2014) lite brite-style flip cover spotted
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat OTA update
- Samsung Milk Music launched for Galaxy S5, some older handsets
- Apple iTunes Festival app arrives, but still no sign of iOS 7.1
- HTC Desire 310 - Another budget handset looking to dethrone the Moto G
- Apple iOS 7.1 release date expected "any day now"
- Google Nexus 5 battery drain camera bug fix in the works
- Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Galaxy S4 - specs comparison