iOS 6.1.1 preview released to developers
Posted on 7 Feb 2013 at 09:44, by Gareth Halfacree
Apple has released a developer preview of iOS 6.1.1 for its iPhone, iPad, iPod and Apple TV devices.
The release, which comes just days after the launch of iOS 6.1, appears to concentrate on fixing flaws still present in the Apple Maps application, which replaced the previous Google Maps software with the release of iOS 6.0 - a move which left Apple with egg on its face as the quality of the maps failed to live up to customer expectations.
According to a changelog obtained by 9to5Mac, iOS 6.1.1 focuses on enhancements for Apple Maps - and specifically its use in Japan. Under the new operating system, Japanese-language pronunciation of road names is improved, toll roads are clearly indicated, motorways shaded green to match paper maps in the country, and multiple 3D buildings have been added including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace and Tokyo Tower.
It's not yet clear whether the update brings anything that would make users outside of Japan eager to upgrade. There's no indication as to whether Apple has added a security update or two - a move that would potentially lock out the recently-released evasi0n jailbreak, which allows iPhone 5, iPad 4 and iPad Mini owners to unlock their devices and install third-party software not officially approved by Apple.
As developers start to test the freshly-released software, more details of its changes will come to light - but for now, it's certainly worth holding off upgrading if you're a jailbreaker who doesn't need improved Japanese mapping capabilities.
Find a review
- Yotaphone dual-screen Android smartphone launches in Europe
- Apple iPhone 5S outselling 5C three to one in UK
- Virgin Media TV Anywhere now available on Android
- HTC to bring dual-SIM HTC One to UK
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Grand 2
- Virgin Media confirms iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c prices
- Instagram (finally) launches on Windows Phone
- UK buyers fleeced in tablet storage memory 'rip-off'
- BlackBerry revs up Porsche Design P’9982 smartphone
- Nexus 5 bumper cases now available through Google Play