Samsung Galaxy Note 3 processor to be country-specific
Posted on 16 Aug 2013 at 14:51, by Gareth Halfacree
Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 will, as suggested by earlier rumours, be launching with the company's Exynos 5420 Octa eight-core processor - but only in selected countries, a leak has claimed.
The company's existing flagship handset, the Galaxy S4, is available in selected countries with the company's Eyxnos 5 Octa chip - an implementation of ARM's big.LITTLE concept which includes four high-performance processor cores alongside four low-power cores, designed to swap between the two to conserve battery while still offering performance when required. In the UK, however, the Galaxy S4 uses a more traditional quad-core processor.
Details received by Samsung watcher SamMobile suggest the company is continuing the country-specific launch programme with its upcoming large-format Galaxy Note 3 - but this time, the UK is one of the lucky ones.
According to the site's source, two models will be available at launch: the SM-N900, which includes a 3G radio and the Exynos 5420 Octa processor, and the SM-N9005, which upgrades the system to 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) connectivity but drops the processor to a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core model. Unlike the Galaxy S4, though, both models will be available in the UK: either as SIM-free handsets, or on contract.
The leaked documents claim that the 3G, Exynos Octa-equipped SM-N900 will be available SIM-free or on contract through the Carphone Warehouse. The LTE, Snapdragon 800-based SM-N9005, meanwhile, will be available SIM-free and on contract with 3, O2 and Vodafone - with no mention of EE on the list.
Samsung has refused to comment on the apparent leak, and has yet to formally announce a launch date or pricing for the Galaxy Note 3.
Find a review
- OnePlus One officially revealed, could challenge Nexus 5 for stock Android superiority
- LG G3 software leak suggests built-in fingerprint sensor
- NFC payments could power London travel
- Larger 5.5in iPhone 6 reportedly delayed until 2015
- Samsung Exynos 5430 processor with 2K display support, Intel LTE revealed
- Apple celebrates Earth Day with free product recycling
- LG G2 Mini UK release date and price revealed
- Google updates Hangouts app with combined SMS and IM conversations
- Motorola Moto E entry-level Android handset rumoured
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime with 2K display rumoured again