Sony Xperia Z to get Android 4.4.2 KitKat update
Posted on 7 Feb 2014 at 10:30, by Gareth Halfacree
Sony is apparently planning to update its Xperia Z smartphone to the latest version of Android, 4.4 KitKat, which would put it in line with the newer Xperia Z1 which has already been confirmed to receive the 4.4 upgrade.
Launched in February last year as Sony's flagship smartphone, it was quickly followed by the Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia Z Ultra phablet before being replaced by the Xperia Z1. However, the 5in, 1,920x1,080 display, quad-core 1.5GHz processor, 13 megapixel camera and water-resistant chassis ensures the Xperia Z is still every bit the high-end handset today.
Sadly, the Xperia Z's software became rapidly dated: the device launched with a customised version of Google's Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system, tweaked with Sony's Xperia user interface. Since then, Google has upgraded its own Nexus handsets several times to Android 4.4.2 KitKat - but the Xperia Z has always trailed behind.
Now, Xperia Blog quotes a Polish mobile network as stating that the Xperia Z is to be upgraded to the very latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat release, most likely still featuring Sony's Xperia customisations, towards the end of the month or beginning of March. The update, as is usual, will be free to all Xperia Z owners.
Sony has neither confirmed nor denied the claim, having only announced plans for a KitKat upgrade for the newer Xperia Z1 so far. However, with the Mobile World Congress event just around the corner, an announcement is expected soon.
Find a review
- iPhone 6 pictured in concept renders based on current rumour round-up
- Leaked images show iOS 8 running on Apple iPhone 5s
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom cameraphone pictured ahead of official reveal
- iOS 8 release date, screenshots, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system
- OnePlus One officially revealed, could challenge Nexus 5 for stock Android superiority
- LG G3 software leak suggests built-in fingerprint sensor
- NFC payments could power London travel
- Larger 5.5in iPhone 6 reportedly delayed until 2015
- Samsung Exynos 5430 processor with 2K display support, Intel LTE revealed
- Apple celebrates Earth Day with free product recycling