Netgear Wi-Fi Booster for Mobile launched
Posted on 24 Jul 2012 at 10:13, by Gareth Halfacree
Networking specialist Netgear has announced the impending launch of the Netgear Wi-Fi Booster for Mobile, a simple plug-in device which claims to make the connections enjoyed by tablets and smartphones significantly more reliable.
The compact device, designed like an oversized mains adapter, plugs into a power socket and repeats the 2.4GHz signal from a user's router or access point in order to extend the range throughout the house. Although designed primarily for users of smartphones and tablets - with Netgear claiming that it can reduce the risk of a device switching to often-expensive mobile data when it strays beyond the range of a home wireless network - it will also help any Wi-Fi compatible device.
Although it doesn't support 5GHz Wi-Fi connections, that shouldn't be a problem for most: the majority of 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi connections use the 2.4GHz spectrum. A Wireless Protected Setup (WPS) button, dubbed Push 'n Connect, makes configuration easy - and Netgear promises the device will work with any 2.4GHz Wi-Fi WPS-compatible access point or router, not just its own devices.
"Consumers today want the best connected experience, complete with the ability to enjoy online entertainment on their Wi-Fi connected mobile devices throughout the home", claimed Damir Skripic, product line manager for connected entertainment at Netgear. “The Netgear Wi-Fi Booster for Mobile enables this experience by significantly increasing Wi-Fi coverage in the home, which is ideal for roaming iPads, iPhones, Android tablets, Kindle e-readers, smartphones or any other mobile Wi-Fi devices."
Full UK pricing and availability has yet to be confirmed, with Netgear planning a summer launch in the US priced at $39.99 (around £26 excluding taxes).
Find a review
- New Nexus 7 running Android 4.3 listed with FCC
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra details appear online ahead of July announcement
- Nexus 7 sequel looks set for July, Quanta expected as manufacturing partner
- iOS 7 release date, features, apps & screenshots
- Cut-price iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5S delayed claims Apple analyst
- Computex 2013 news round-up: hands on coverage from our team in Taipei
- Apple hit with iPhone, iPad sales ban over Samsung patent
- Toshiba Excite Write review – hands on
- Toshiba Excite Pure review – hands on
- Apple rumoured to launch iPad 5 months before the iPad Mini 2