Google launches Nexus 10 tablet
Posted on 29 Oct 2012 at 17:21, by Tom Morgan
In spite of the advancing Hurricane Sandy forcing Google to call off it's New York press event this afternoon, the compaany went ahead with its announcements anyway, revealing the Samsung-built Nexus 10 tablet.
With an eyeball-searing 2560x1600 display (that has more pixels per inch than the "Retina" Apple iPad) the Nexus 10 is a premium tablet that is clearly aimed at challenging the iPad's high-end dominance of the tablet market. From the specification sheet, the chances of it doing so are certainly promising.
It's powered by a dual-core 1.7GHz Samsung Exynos processor and has 2GB of RAM, as well as a 5-megapixel rear camera, 1.9-megapixel front webcam and either 16GB or 32GB internal storage. It has two NFC chips, as well as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, Micro USB and Micro HDMI ports and removable smart covers that let you add screen protectors. The soft-touch plastic rear should make it easier to grip than other larger tablets, but we'll withhold judgement until we get one into our labs.
The latest version of Android will be powering the Nexus 10 - 4.2 might still go by the Jelly Bean moniker, but it's a much improved version that adds wireless display support, gesture-based text input and lockscreen widgets.
The Nexus 10 will cost £319 for a 16GB model or £389 for a 32GB version when it launches on the 13th of November. You can sign up for more information as and when it arrives on the Google Play Store.
Find a review
- Nokia Lumia EOS PureView launch tipped for July
- Acer Aspire P3 review – hands on
- AMD takes aim at tablets with Temash APUs
- Acer Iconia W3 8in Windows 8 tablet appears online
- Samsung ultra-high resolution tablet and laptop displays demoed
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 to get Intel Atom processor
- Nook Simple Touch eReaders to get web browser, email apps
- Apple iPad Mini 2 specifications appear online
- BBM iOS, Android apps won't include tablet support, according to BlackBerry
- 8in Microsoft Surface could launch in June