Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N5100 7in tablet leaks ahead of launch
Posted on 5 Dec 2012 at 09:44, by Gareth Halfacree
Samsung's rumoured 7in Galaxy Note tablet may have leaked online, if benchmark results are to be believed.
According to results posted to the NenaMark benchmarking service, a device with the model name of GT-N5100 has been testing out its performance - matching the naming convention of Samsung's Galaxy Note family of products, and offering a glimpse of the possible specifications for the company's answer to the iPad Mini and Nexus 7.
Likely based on the same Exynos quad-core ARM-based processor as the Galaxy Note II, the GT-N5100 is claimed to run at 1.6GHz and include a Mali-400 graphics processing unit. The display runs at 1280x720, suggesting a smaller-screen device than the Galaxy Note 10.1 - and with interest in the 7in tablet space booming, the device is almost certainly planned to sit between the smaller Galaxy Note II and large-scale Galaxy Note 10.1 models. As a Note, the device would come with the S-Pen stylus system as well as supporting the usual finger-based interaction method favoured of modern tablets.
The 7in tablet space, once derided by Apple boss Steve Jobs, is becoming the latest battleground for manufacturers: Google's Asus-made Nexus 7 tablets have been selling well thanks to high specifications and a low price, while Apple's iPad Mini is mopping up the premium end of the market. Amazon, too, is selling large numbers of its Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD 7in tablets, with more expected to ship ahead of Christmas as parents look to take advantage of the newly-launched Kindle FreeTime Unlimited service.
Samsung, as is usual, has refused to comment on the existence of a 7in Galaxy Note prototype. With CES 2013 just around the corner, however, we wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement from the company early next year.
Find a review
- AMD takes aim at tablets with Temash APUs
- Acer Iconia W3 8in Windows 8 tablet appears online
- Samsung ultra-high resolution tablet and laptop displays demoed
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 to get Intel Atom processor
- Nook Simple Touch eReaders to get web browser, email apps
- Apple iPad Mini 2 specifications appear online
- BBM iOS, Android apps won't include tablet support, according to BlackBerry
- 8in Microsoft Surface could launch in June
- Google I/O 2013: what got announced - and what didn't
- Surface Pro UK price and release date revealed by Microsoft