Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 gets Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update
Posted on 6 Dec 2012 at 10:24, by Gareth Halfacree
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 has finally been updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, bringing the latest iteration of Google's mobile operating system to the device for the first time.
Available as a free over-the-air upgrade, 4.1 Jelly Bean replaces the existing Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich software with a version that brings performance improvements, faster orientation changes when the tablet is switched between portrait and landscape, support for USB-connected audio docks, better browser performance, an easier-to-use camera app, better notifications and boosted battery life.
While the update will be welcomed by Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 users, the version still lags behind the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean software available on the Google-branded Nexus 10. With Android 4.2 adding in support for multiple separate user accounts on a single device and the impressive 360-degree panoramic photo mode, Galaxy Tab 2 owners will be eager for Samsung to continue updating the device.
For now, however, Android 4.1 is the very latest software available to Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 owners. Those looking to upgrade to Jelly Bean can do so through an over-the-air update triggered from the Settings menu within Android, or through Samsung's own KIES software. Upgrading takes just a few minutes and shouldn't lose any user data, but does require an active network connection.
Thus far, Samsung is silent on plans to bring the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean release to the device.
The Galaxy is great! I'm absolutely in LOVE with this thing! It's easy to use so I didn't have to go searching the internet for tutorials. Here's the one I have on Amazon http://bit.ly/UD0r1e. If you're looking to get a tablet I'd recommend the Galaxy over the other tablets, it really blows them away. :)
By jj111985 on 6 Dec 2012
Find a review
- Apple iPad Mini 2 specifications appear online
- BBM iOS, Android apps won't include tablet support, according to BlackBerry
- 8in Microsoft Surface could launch in June
- Google I/O 2013: what got announced - and what didn't
- Surface Pro UK price and release date revealed by Microsoft
- Nokia hints at Lumia Tablet plans
- iOS 7 release date, features, news and rumours
- AMD executive predicts hybrids will replace tablets
- iPad Mini 2 release date, price, features & specs rumours
- iPad 5 release date, price, features & specs rumours