Sony Xperia Tablet Z officially announced
Posted on 21 Jan 2013 at 09:38, by Gareth Halfacree
Sony has officially unveiled the Xperia Tablet Z Android-based tablet, following the leaking of key specifications which have proven to be pretty accurate.
A 10.1in display with a better-than-HD 1,920x1,200 resolution might be higher than expected, but it's still well below the 2,560x1,600 of the Nexus 10. Even so, it does include Sony's Mobile Bravia Engine 2, an image processing engine claimed to improve response times and image clarity compared to other devices. Sony's S-Force virtual surround-sound system, is also included, demonstrating Sony's focus on multimedia use.
Internally, the device uses a 1.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, 2GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage, which can be upgraded thanks to the micro-SD card slot. As expected, a 6,000mAh battery provides power, with Wi-Fi as standard and a second version launching with Long Term Evolution (LTE) mobile broadband support. The rear of the device includes an 8.1 megapixel autofocus camera based on Sony's Exmor R CMOS sensor.
It's the size of the tablet that really impresses, however: unlike Sony's previous Android tablet efforts, the clamshell Sony Tablet P and wedge-shaped Sony Tablet S, the Xperia Tablet Z has been designed for portability. A mere 6.9mm at its thickest point, the entire body is water- and dust-proof to give the user confidence in handling the device outdoors.
What Sony has not yet confirmed, sadly, is UK availability and pricing, with the device due to launch first in Sony's native Japan in the spring in both black and white variants.
Find a review
- New Nexus 7 running Android 4.3 listed with FCC
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra details appear online ahead of July announcement
- Nexus 7 sequel looks set for July, Quanta expected as manufacturing partner
- iOS 7 release date, features, apps & screenshots
- Cut-price iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5S delayed claims Apple analyst
- Computex 2013 news round-up: hands on coverage from our team in Taipei
- Apple hit with iPhone, iPad sales ban over Samsung patent
- Toshiba Excite Write review – hands on
- Toshiba Excite Pure review – hands on
- Apple rumoured to launch iPad 5 months before the iPad Mini 2