Surface RT and Surface Pro get official vinyl skins
Posted on 6 Feb 2013 at 09:16, by Gareth Halfacree
Just ahead of its planned launch of the Surface Pro tablet, Microsoft has taken the wraps off a customisation programme that will give Surface RT and Surface Pro owners a wider choice of style for their gadgets.
Currently, the Surface RT and Surface Pro Touch and Type covers, screen protectors which cleverly double as keyboards, are available in a small selection of colours. The new vinyl add-ons introduce a whole wealth of colour choices, as well as interesting patterns and textures.
According to WinBeta, the company is launching a service that will allow Surface RT and Surface Pro owners to pick out a custom vinyl skin that completely customises the surfaces of their device. As well as offering a wide selection of colours, numerous patterns are available for customisation.
Each skin covers the rear and front surfaces of the tablet - excluding the screen - along with the 'kick-stand' at the back of the device. The sides, meanwhile, are left in their original black finish. Each skin can be applied in around fifteen minutes, and can be removed and replaced up to five times before losing its adhesive properties.
While skins for laptops aren't a new concept - a multitude of similar coverings are available for Apple's rival MacBook range, most of which make use of the glowing logo at the rear as a central design theme - this marks the first time such an add-on has been offered by a manufacturer themselves.
Currently, the skins are only available in the US via the company's own Microsoft Stores, where they cost $15 (around £9.60 excluding taxes) each. Microsoft has not yet indicated when the skins will come to the UK.
Find a review
- Apple iPad Mini 2 specifications appear online
- BBM iOS, Android apps won't include tablet support, according to BlackBerry
- 8in Microsoft Surface could launch in June
- Google I/O 2013: what got announced - and what didn't
- Surface Pro UK price and release date revealed by Microsoft
- Nokia hints at Lumia Tablet plans
- iOS 7 release date, features, news and rumours
- AMD executive predicts hybrids will replace tablets
- iPad Mini 2 release date, price, features & specs rumours
- iPad 5 release date, price, features & specs rumours