LG may be planning Windows Phone 8 handsets to sit alongside Nexus 4, Optimus G
Posted on 17 Jan 2013 at 10:31, by Gareth Halfacree
LG is rumoured to be working on a family of Windows Phone handsets, designed to sit alongside its Android devices and give competition to Nokia's popular Lumia phones.
According to an unnamed but reportedly senior LG executive speaking to The Korea Times earlier this week, LG is looking to branch out its smartphone offerings with some new models running Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system, alongside its existing Android handsets. "We will release quite a number of new Optimus devices this year," LG's spokesperson told the paper, "and LG also has some new smartphones in the works that will run Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8."
The news comes as a shift for LG's device strategy: previously, it had been concentrating on building Android-powered handsets - going so far as to partner with Google on the Nexus 4. While the cut-price smartphone has been proving difficult to keep in stock, LG is reportedly hard at work on a successor which may either launch as the Nexus 5 or under LG's own Optimus brand.
With Nokia's Windows Phone 8 devices, including the flagship Lumia 920, proving extremely popular, LG could be on to a winner - but it's going to have to hurry: Nokia is rumoured to be planning a new Windows Phone 8 device of its own, a sleek all-aluminium model dubbed the Nokia Catwalk.
The company's plans for 2013 are also thought to include a top-end Android smartphone with a 5.5in, 1080p high-definition display, possibly to be unveiled as early as February at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) event in Barcelona.
Find a review
- HTC First UK launch cancelled due to poor US sales
- Apple iPhone 5S, plastic iPhone could launch in multiple colours
- Apple extends Galaxy S4 infringement suit to include Google Now
- Galaxy S4 shipments break records, Samsung teases new colours
- HTC One Google Edition could be in the works after all
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Active pictures revealed online
- Thinner, lighter iPad 5 now expected to launch in September
- White Nexus 4, Android 4.3 release date looks set for June
- Google I/O 2013: what got announced - and what didn't
- Samsung Galaxy Mega release date delayed until July