LG may be planning Windows Phone 8 handsets to sit alongside Nexus 4, Optimus G
Posted on 17 Jan 2013 at 10:31, by Gareth Halfacree
LG is rumoured to be working on a family of Windows Phone handsets, designed to sit alongside its Android devices and give competition to Nokia's popular Lumia phones.
According to an unnamed but reportedly senior LG executive speaking to The Korea Times earlier this week, LG is looking to branch out its smartphone offerings with some new models running Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system, alongside its existing Android handsets. "We will release quite a number of new Optimus devices this year," LG's spokesperson told the paper, "and LG also has some new smartphones in the works that will run Microsoft’s Windows Phone 8."
The news comes as a shift for LG's device strategy: previously, it had been concentrating on building Android-powered handsets - going so far as to partner with Google on the Nexus 4. While the cut-price smartphone has been proving difficult to keep in stock, LG is reportedly hard at work on a successor which may either launch as the Nexus 5 or under LG's own Optimus brand.
With Nokia's Windows Phone 8 devices, including the flagship Lumia 920, proving extremely popular, LG could be on to a winner - but it's going to have to hurry: Nokia is rumoured to be planning a new Windows Phone 8 device of its own, a sleek all-aluminium model dubbed the Nokia Catwalk.
The company's plans for 2013 are also thought to include a top-end Android smartphone with a 5.5in, 1080p high-definition display, possibly to be unveiled as early as February at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) event in Barcelona.
Find a review
- Android Device Manager anti-theft app now in Google Play store
- Nokia Normandy Android smartphone rumoured for 2014
- Asus Padfone Mini launched as 4.3in smartphone and 7in tablet pair
- European air authorities update guidelines, smartphones and tablets get the OK to fly
- Qualcomm reveals 64-bit Snapdragon 410 mobile CPU
- HTC One Mini sales ban gets last-minute delay
- Upcoming USB Type-C connector to be thinner and reversible
- Asus PadFone Mini leaks ahead of launch
- HTC One 2 (HTC M8) specs, price, release date, news and rumours
- Samsung Galaxy S5 potentially spotted on benchmark website