Sony HMZ-T3W head-mounted display upgraded with wireless video
Posted on 3 Sep 2013 at 12:30, by Tom Morgan
Sony has introduced its third generation head mounted display, the HMZ-T3W, which adds wireless streaming capabilities to the 3D-ready video helmet.
This major upgrade to the HMZ-T1 and HMZ-T2 supports the WirelessHD standard for practically zero lag wireless video, making it an ideal virtual reality gaming headset as well as for an immersive movie experience.
Twin 1,280x720 OLED panels produce 3D images at 24p, which give the impression of watching a 750in screen from 20m away. The visor-like design means you can look down easily if you want to play games, so you don't have to worry about not being able to see a keyboard and mouse or game controller.
7.1 channel surround sound is delivered through the bundled 16mm driver in-ear headphones, or you can attach your own superior in-ears if you prefer.
Three HDMI inputs let you connect multiple wired devices, and MHL support lets you use your smartphone for big screen viewing. The bundled battery unit lets you watch up to three hours of wireless video, or seven hours when connected over HDMI.
If you like the idea of strapping a fully immersive cinema to your face, the HMZ-T3W will be available to buy directly from www.sony.co.uk from November. However, be prepared to part with a whopping £1,300 for the privilege.
Find a review
- Panasonic demos Freetime on new 2014 TV lineup
- Record Sky shows straight from Twitter using #WatchOnSky
- New Sony 4K media player comes with 4K Netflix and 200 movie library
- BBC iPlayer downloads now supports ALL Android phones and tablets
- Amazon signs up the BBC for Doctor Who, Sherlock and more on Prime Instant Video
- Samsung HU8500 curved Ultra HD TV released in the UK next week
- Logitech K830 illuminated wireless keyboard wants to light up your living room
- Google working on Android TV - the successor to Google TV you actually want?
- BBC iPlayer catch-up extended from seven to 30 days
- BT Sport app confirmed for Google Chromecast