Samsung NX300 announced - mirrorless APS-C camera to debut at CES
Posted on 4 Jan 2013 at 11:59, by Tom Morgan
Samsung has announced the NX300, its latest flagship mirrorless digital camera, just in time for it to appear at CES 2013 in Las Vegas next week. To coincide with the launch, Samsung also revealed a "world's first" 3D lens system to capture both stills and video in full HD.
Built around a 20.3-megapixel APS-C sensor, with an ISO range that runs from 100-25600 that promises clean low light stills, and a DRIMe IV imaging engine which should improve the speed and quality over previous NX cameras, the NX300 also has shutter speeds of up to 1/6000 sec and 8.6fps continuous shooting. Finally, it includes a new hybrid autofocus system which includes phase and contrast detection.
The hybrid 45mm F1.8 2D/3D lens will e sold separately, rather than bundled with the NX300, which is compatible with all current existing NX lenses.
In keeping with the retro styling of previous NX models, the NX300 will be available in black or white, but has a very modern 3.3in AMOLED touch-sensitive display around the back, which tilts to make shot composition easier, as well as a hotshoe for accessories on the top. There's no built-in flash, however.
It will also connect to the Samsung Smart Camera app on either Android or iOS over Wi-Fi, giving you a remote viewfinder and the ability to share photos directly to Facebook or Twitter.
Samsung has yet to announce pricing or availability, but we'll be putting the camera and the accompanying 3D lens through their paces at CES 2013 in Las Vegas next week to bring you a hands-on preview.
Find a review
- Eyefi Cloud uploads your photos as you snap them
- Canon EOS 100D White announced, complete with matching white kit lens
- Pentax 645Z medium format DSLR revealed with 51.4-megapixel sensor
- Samsung invite hints at Galaxy S5 Zoom announcement, Galaxy K name change
- Panasonic Spring deals - Great freebies for GH3, GH4, GX7 and GM1
- Autographer Android app released - Capture your life with Google devices
- Up to £200 off a new Samsung camera with trade-in promo
- Olympus Stylus SH-1 compact camera takes inspiration from PEN range
- Exclusive: Samsung NX Mini camera UK price confirmed
- 4K-ready Panasonic Lumix GH4 CSC UK price and release date revealed