Google's Nexus 4, Nexus 10 launch event cancelled
Posted on 29 Oct 2012 at 09:02, by Gareth Halfacree
Google has officially cancelled its Android launch event, scheduled for later today, in the face of Hurricane Sandy.
The event, originally scheduled to take place in the US later today, has been indefinitely postponed as New York and the north-east US coast brace for the impact of the 520 mile wide Hurricane Sandy. With the slow-moving storm expected to cover as many as twelve states for up to 36 hours, bringing with it an expected 25cm of rain or 60cm of snow, the nation is preparing for the worst with evacuations taking place in the areas likely to be hardest hit.
It's no surprise, given the near-complete closure of the eastern seaboard of the US, that Google is rescheduling the event, but fans of the open-source Android mobile platform will likely be disappointed. The company was expected to announce two new products - the LG-manufactured Nexus 4 smartphone and the Samsung-manufactured Nexus 10 tablet - along with a tweaked version of its Android operating system dubbed version 4.2.
For now, those eager to see what Google has up its sleeve will have to be content with numerous leaks surrounding the launch including the Nexus 4 manual, which confirms the specifications as matching LG's existing Optimus G handset as well as the inclusion of inductive wireless charging technology, and a similar leak for the Nexus 10 tablet.
With Google's Nexus 7 tablet already proving popular, and receiving price cuts ahead of the launch of a 32GB model, interest surrounding the new Android Nexus 4 smartphone and larger 10in Nexus 10 tablet is high - but, thus far, Google hasn't rescheduled the launch event.
Find a review
- New Nexus 7 running Android 4.3 listed with FCC
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra details appear online ahead of July announcement
- Nexus 7 sequel looks set for July, Quanta expected as manufacturing partner
- iOS 7 release date, features, apps & screenshots
- Cut-price iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5S delayed claims Apple analyst
- Computex 2013 news round-up: hands on coverage from our team in Taipei
- Apple hit with iPhone, iPad sales ban over Samsung patent
- Toshiba Excite Write review – hands on
- Toshiba Excite Pure review – hands on
- Apple rumoured to launch iPad 5 months before the iPad Mini 2