Panasonic 56in 4K OLED TV unveiled
Posted on 9 Jan 2013 at 23:23, by David Ludlow
If there's one thing that Panasonic didn't have in its original CES 2013 presentation, it was a 4K TV. That all changed suddenly and surprisingly, when the company announced a 56in 4K OLED TV.
We managed to get down to the show floor to take a look at the TV in action. As you'd expect from OLED, the quality of the TV picture is quite astounding. Each pixel is self-illuminating and can be completely turned off, giving incredible deep blacks and quoted contrast ratio of 3,000,000:1.
As you'd expect from OLED, Panasonic's TV is very thin
OLED also means that the TV can be incredibly thin (just 4mm at the sides) while requiring a lot less power than a regular LCD or Plasma display. So far that's all information that we know already and we've seen OLED technology at CES for the last couple of years.
What makes this TV different is the manufacturing process, which is collaboration between Panasonic and Sony. What's been developed is an RGB printing process.
Using this process, OLED materials are applied to a substrate using a printing technique. It means that just the right amount of organic material can be applied, reducing wastage and lowering cost. In addition, the printing method can be applied to a variety of different screen sizes, so the same manufacturing process could technically create smaller TVs, too.
At the moment the 56in OLED TV remains a prototype, but it is the company's intention to launch a product and it could well be out this year.
Find a review
- Roku Streaming Stick launched to rival Google's Chromecast
- Google Chromecast UK release date revealed: get one from Currys on March 1st
- BT Box Office adds buy-to-keep movies to YouView
- Sky reveals new look Sky+HD EPG, coming this spring
- Sony Smart TV - what's new for 2014
- Panasonic 4K LED LCD first look - plasma quality from LCD
- 4K Blu-ray by the end of the year as BDA approves draft extension to the format
- LG WebOS for 2014 smart TVs - Hands on review
- Bang & Olufsen BeoSound Essence controls your music with style
- CES 2014: In-depth, hands-on coverage from our team in Las Vegas