PS Eye revealed for PS4
Posted on 21 Feb 2013 at 12:30, by Tom Morgan
The PS Eye is official - Sony briefly mentioned the redesigned camera peripheral during its PS4 launch press conference, revealing its ability to recognise faces, sense depth and detect players based on the colour of their DualShock 4 controllers.
Using two 1,280x800 camera sensors, four microphones and an 85 degree field of view, the PS Eye will let gamers control the PS4 with their voice and log into the console using their face, as well as provide motion control in games. The higher resolution cameras are a major improvement over the old PlayStation Eye, which could only capture 640×480 images.
Now that each DualShock 4 controller has a dedicated light bar, the PS Eye is able to detect the number of players and position characters accordingly when playing split-screen games.
The unit will connect to the PS4 using a dedicated auxiliary adaptor, meaning gamers won't have to worry about using up one of their USB3 ports, and is slim enough to balance on top of a TV. Sony made no mention as to whether the camera mechanically pivots in the same way as Microsoft's Kinnect sensor, or whether it requires manual adjustment depending on position or the size of your room.
It's not yet clear whether the PS Eye will ship with the PS4 when it launches later in the year, or if it will be a separate accessory, but we'll hopefully find out at E3 in June.
Find a review
- PS4 firmware 1.70 features announced as Sony struggles to cope with demand
- Download Hearthstone on iPad now - Link here!
- Minecraft for PS3 getting full Blu-ray disc release
- Over a third of bought Steam titles remain unplayed
- Latest Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare DLC arrives today, epic Western trailer rides side saddle
- Destiny - Bungie - Beta, release date, trailer, news and rumours
- Xbox One April update arriving now, brings 50Hz Blu-ray playback, improved video capture quality
- Titanfall Expedition DLC release date set: three new maps landing in May
- Titanfall patch adds private matches to PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One
- Watch_Dogs season pass introduces second playable character