Sony PlayStation 4 heading for an E3 reveal, according to company VP
Posted on 17 Jan 2013 at 10:16, by Gareth Halfacree
Speaking to Chilean news site Emol, Sony Computer Entertainment vice-president Hiroshi Sakamoto claimed that something big is being planned for the E3 event. "That's still a big secret," Sakamoto told the site in response to a question about the likely launch date for a PlayStation 4 console, "but our colleagues are preparing for the Sony PlayStation. I can only say that we are focused on the E3 gaming event, scheduled for June. [An] announcement may be [made] in that minute or even earlier in May."
That flies in the face of earlier claims that the PlayStation 4, codenamed Orbis, would not be launching until 2014 - giving Microsoft's Xbox 720, which is thought to be launching in time for the lucrative Christmas sales period following an E3 unveiling, a similar head-start over its rival as the Xbox 360 enjoyed over the PlayStation 3.
Sakamoto's comments don't relate to a launch, however: there would be nothing to stop Sony from demonstrating a pre-production prototype of the PlayStation 4 console at E3 ahead of a Christmas launch, or even the previously-rumoured 2014 launch - aside from the risk that it would harm sales of the current-generation PlayStation 3 as buyers hold off in order to wait for the latest and greatest to arrive.
Sony, naturally, has refused to comment on speculation surrounding its next-generation console.
Find a review
- PS4 firmware 1.70 features announced as Sony struggles to cope with demand
- Download Hearthstone on iPad now - Link here!
- Minecraft for PS3 getting full Blu-ray disc release
- Over a third of bought Steam titles remain unplayed
- Latest Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare DLC arrives today, epic Western trailer rides side saddle
- Destiny - Bungie - Beta, release date, trailer, news and rumours
- Xbox One April update arriving now, brings 50Hz Blu-ray playback, improved video capture quality
- Titanfall Expedition DLC release date set: three new maps landing in May
- Titanfall patch adds private matches to PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One
- Watch_Dogs season pass introduces second playable character