Gamestop: PS4 pre-orders double those of Xbox One
Posted on 23 Aug 2013 at 10:21, by Gareth Halfacree
There have been hints as to the relative popularity of both consoles, which will be launching head-to-head later this year, but neither Sony or Microsoft have discussed sales figures. The PS4 has already sold out in many countries, which may point to the device being more popular than the Xbox One, but could also simply be that Sony has produced fewer units than Microsoft.
Now, the first firm figures have been revealed by US games retailer GameStop, whiich suggest that Sony is winning the hearts and minds of the next generation of console gamers. According GameStop president Tony Bartel, over 1.5 million users have signed up to the company's 'First to Know' availability checker for the PS4 compared to just 700,000 for the Xbox One.
Although the company didn't share actual sales figures during its most recent earnings call, those number suggest Sony is currently in the lead in the run up to the launch of the two next-generation consoles.
The 'First to Know' system is simply a mailing list where potential buyers can register interest without having to place an order or pay a deposit, so it's unlikely those numbers will all translate into sales.
GameStop chief executive Paul Raines added to Bartel's figures, which suggested that the number of units shipping at launch for both consoles will be 60 per cent higher than they were for the previous generation, stating that the release of the two rival devices will mark "the largest console launch[es] in history."
Despite similar internal hardware, including a powerful eight-core processor built by AMD based on technology used in desktop PCs, the PS4 has a more powerful graphics processor, higher-bandwidth memory and a lower price than Microsoft's Xbox One thanks to the lack of bundled camera. Microsoft has also had a tough time on the PR front, having to backtrack on several of the console's key features in the face of consumer backlash.
Find a review
- PS4 firmware 1.70 features announced as Sony struggles to cope with demand
- Download Hearthstone on iPad now - Link here!
- Minecraft for PS3 getting full Blu-ray disc release
- Over a third of bought Steam titles remain unplayed
- Latest Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare DLC arrives today, epic Western trailer rides side saddle
- Destiny - Bungie - Beta, release date, trailer, news and rumours
- Xbox One April update arriving now, brings 50Hz Blu-ray playback, improved video capture quality
- Titanfall Expedition DLC release date set: three new maps landing in May
- Titanfall patch adds private matches to PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One
- Watch_Dogs season pass introduces second playable character