Activision hints only one console to challenge Wii U next year
Posted on 12 Nov 2012 at 09:44, by Gareth Halfacree
Activision chief executive Bobby Kotick has claimed that only two of the three mainstream games console manufacturers will have their next-generation product on the market in time for Christmas 2013.
During his company's financial earnings call with analysts and press, Kotick was asked multiple questions about Activision's plans for the next-generation games consoles. Eventually, Kotick explained: "We can't really talk too much about next-generation console plans, but I think it's safe to say you have a Wii U coming out and there will be another new console coming, and we expect that they'll be very successful."
Kotick's comment regarding the Wii U, Nintendo's next-generation successor to the motion-controlled Wii, comes as no surprise. The revelation that only one of the two remaining companies, Microsoft and Sony, will be launching a console in the immediate future, however, is certainly new.
Both Microsoft and Sony are known to be working on devices to replace their respective Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games consoles, adding in more powerful hardware in order to close the gap between the graphical quality and complexity of console and PC games. Numerous rumours have spread regarding both consoles, with Sony claimed to be considering an AMD APU chip for the PlayStation 4 while Microsoft is claimed to be looking at technology to limit sales of second-hand games.
Neither company, however, has announced a launch date for their respective consoles. With Kotick claiming that only one will launch in the immediate future, it's a guessing game as to which - but it seems likely that Microsoft will want to repeat the success of its Xbox 360 console, which enjoyed a year-long head-start over Sony's PlayStation 3.
Coupled with details leaked by Microsoft itself, pointing to a likely 2013 launch date for the console, we'd guess that Sony is going to be playing catch-up in the console market once again.
Find a review
- PS4 firmware 1.70 features announced as Sony struggles to cope with demand
- Download Hearthstone on iPad now - Link here!
- Minecraft for PS3 getting full Blu-ray disc release
- Over a third of bought Steam titles remain unplayed
- Latest Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare DLC arrives today, epic Western trailer rides side saddle
- Destiny - Bungie - Beta, release date, trailer, news and rumours
- Xbox One April update arriving now, brings 50Hz Blu-ray playback, improved video capture quality
- Titanfall Expedition DLC release date set: three new maps landing in May
- Titanfall patch adds private matches to PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One
- Watch_Dogs season pass introduces second playable character