Nokia Lumia 920 coming to non-EE networks in January
Posted on 10 Dec 2012 at 10:24, by Gareth Halfacree
The Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8 handset will be available on all carriers across the UK starting early next year, as an exclusivity deal with EE comes to a close.
Currently, the Lumia 920 handset is only available from EE, an amalgamation of T-Mobile and Orange, with the company having negotiated a timed exclusivity contract with Nokia. For those on other networks hoping to pick up the Windows Phone 8 handset, the only method is to purchase an unlocked SIM-free device - and with no subsidy from a mobile network, that can be a large up-front cost.
That situation should come to a close early next year, however. Responding to a customer query as to the availability of the Lumia 920 via Vodafone, Nokia's UK arm has officially confirmed that the device will be available from 'other retailers' starting in January 2013 - too late, sadly, for anyone to pick it up as a Christmas present.
While the networks carrying the Lumia 920 from January have not been named, it seems likely that the major UK mobile brands - O2, 3 and Vodafone - will be looking to stock the device as an alternative to Apple's iPhone 5 and the multifarious Android devices that currently dominate the high-end smartphone market.
Availability across mobile networks should help boost the popularity of Nokia's Lumia 920 still further, amidst reports that the device has been selling out across Europe thanks to a broader support for next-generation high-speed 4G LTE mobile networks than Apple's US-centric iPhone 5 handset.
Thus far, no mobile network has come forward with suggested pricing or a firm launch date for its Nokia Lumia 920 packages.
Find a review
- White Nexus 4, Android 4.3 release date looks set for June
- Google I/O 2013: what got announced - and what didn't
- Samsung Galaxy Mega release date delayed until July
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition revealed, HTC One plans denied
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition may launch at I/O conference
- Samsung Galaxy S4 added to Apple patent infringement suit
- Blackberry Q5 announced for emerging markets
- iPhone 5S release date, specs, features & price rumours
- Nokia Lumia 925 review - hands on
- BT 4G mobile network to be powered by customer's routers