Apple iPhone 5S and iPhone Math models could launch in June
Posted on 22 Jan 2013 at 09:49, by Gareth Halfacree
The Apple iPhone 5S is looking increasingly likely to launch later this year, with rumours surrounding Apple's plans reaching fever pitch. The latest details suggest it will launch alongside a new, larger device dubbed the iPhone Math.
According to a report from the China Times newspaper, itself citing sources within the Taiwanese industry outlet Commercial Times, Apple is planning to launch at least two new iPhone models in June this year. The first should be the iPhone 5S, a more powerful update to the company's current iPhone 5 handset, which adds more memory and a more powerful processor without changing the overall look or feel of the device.
The second, however, is a more interesting claim: dubbed the iPhone Math by Chinese and Taiwanese news sources, although with rumours from other nations pointing to the name iPhone Max or iPhone+, the handset is a completely new design which borrows some styling from Apple's popular iPad Mini. The biggest change over the current-generation iPhone 5, however, is the size: the iPhone Math is expected to pack a whopping 4.8in retina-class display - bringing it into direct competition with the current generation of high-end Android smartphones, most of which have large-format displays.
Both the iPhone 5S and the iPhone Math will apparently include an eight megapixel camera on the rear, as well as the usual iPhone features including a high-definition FaceTime camera and a noise-cancelling microphone located on the rear of the handset. China Times further claims that, in a break with tradition, Apple is also considering launching a third handset towards the end of 2013 - possibly the rumoured iPhone 6 - which will upgrade the rear camera to a 12 megapixel model.
Apple, naturally, has refused to comment on the accuracy of the China Times report.
Find a review
- Android Device Manager anti-theft app now in Google Play store
- Nokia Normandy Android smartphone rumoured for 2014
- Asus Padfone Mini launched as 4.3in smartphone and 7in tablet pair
- European air authorities update guidelines, smartphones and tablets get the OK to fly
- Qualcomm reveals 64-bit Snapdragon 410 mobile CPU
- HTC One Mini sales ban gets last-minute delay
- Upcoming USB Type-C connector to be thinner and reversible
- Asus PadFone Mini leaks ahead of launch
- HTC One 2 (HTC M8) specs, price, release date, news and rumours
- Samsung Galaxy S5 potentially spotted on benchmark website