Google's Motorola X Phone specifications hinted at
Posted on 4 Feb 2013 at 09:56, by Gareth Halfacree
Google's rumoured Motorola X Phone, which is expected to launch at the company's Google IO conference in May, has been detailed ahead of an official announcement, if new rumours are to be believed.
Expected to launch at the event alongside a new version of its Android operating system, known as Key Lime Pie, the Motorola X Phone could be the first Motorola device to be designed and manufactured since Motorola Mobility became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Google. Designed to take over from the best-selling Nexus 4, hopes are high for an impressively high specification - and initial indications are good that Google is planning to deliver.
According to a source speaking to Phone Arena, the Motorola X Phone will launch with a quad-core high-performance processor behind a 4.8in or 5in display. A high-capacity battery, based on those developed for Motorola's MAXX handsets, will provide runtime measured in days, rather than hours, while a Kevlar casing and clever weatherproofing - last seen on the Motorola Razr i Android handset - will provide protection from the elements.
Internal storage could reach up to 128GB for the top-end model, which would be the first phone to offer such capacity, with a micro-SD card slot providing further expansion. The rear of the phone is expected to include a camera based on Sony's latest Exmor RS sensor system - a high-quality digital camera sensor developer specifically for thin and light smartphone form factors.
Those who have already purchased a Nexus 4 needn't worry, however: the Motorola X Phone is not expected to form an official part of Google's Nexus line-up, and while it will be the first handset to launch with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, the updated operating system will also be offered for free to existing Nexus handsets.
Neither Google nor its Motorola division have commented on the accuracy of the rumours.
Find a review
- HTC First UK launch cancelled due to poor US sales
- Apple iPhone 5S, plastic iPhone could launch in multiple colours
- Apple extends Galaxy S4 infringement suit to include Google Now
- Galaxy S4 shipments break records, Samsung teases new colours
- HTC One Google Edition could be in the works after all
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Active pictures revealed online
- Thinner, lighter iPad 5 now expected to launch in September
- White Nexus 4, Android 4.3 release date looks set for June
- Google I/O 2013: what got announced - and what didn't
- Samsung Galaxy Mega release date delayed until July