iPhone 5S will look like iPhone 5 says analyst
Posted on 7 Feb 2013 at 15:34, by David Ludlow
This information doesn't come from any leaked design documents or sneaky snaps on the new device, but rather from Apple's quarterly SEC filing.
According to Morgan Stanley analyst, Katy Huberty, and reported on Business Insider, the filing contains tell-tale signs about the new phone.
"Lower planned purchases of production equipment sets up for higher iPhone 5S margin. The 10-Q discloses $904M of commitments for equipment purchases compare to $4.5B just two quarters ago when Apple invested in new in-cell touch displays for the iPhone 5. The decrease is likely due to iPhone 5S not requiring significant hardware changes, therefore iPhone GM could be much higher in C2H13," stated the filing.
So, what does it mean? Well, the inference is that Apple spent a lot of money two quarters ago, as it was ramping up production for the iPhone 5. With new technology and a new screen that was an expensive process.
The lower investment in equipment purchases, according to Huberty, means that the hardware of the new phone is going to be very similar to the last phone. In a way that does fit in with Apple's typical product release schedule, which sees the same chassis used for two generations of phones.
Of course, it could just mean that Apple hasn't started ramping up production on its new phone yet and that's the reason for the filing not containing such high equipment purchase information. We wouldn't put it past Apple to be ramping up for the new phone now after its SEC filing in order to hide what it's doing for now.
There's also fact that the iPhone 5 didn't meet sales expectations over Christmas, so there's likely to be plenty of stock, and that could also account for the purchase drop.
"iPhone 5S will look like iPhone 5 says analyst" and there was me thinking it would look like a Nokia 3310. Just as well there are analysts paid for stating the bloody obvious or we'd never be able to get on with life...
By mr_chips on 7 Feb 2013
I could get paid for analysing the obvious too
The Porsche 998 Turbo will look exactly like the 997 Turbo...
By mr_chips on 7 Feb 2013
Find a review
- HTC First UK launch cancelled due to poor US sales
- Apple iPhone 5S, plastic iPhone could launch in multiple colours
- Apple extends Galaxy S4 infringement suit to include Google Now
- Galaxy S4 shipments break records, Samsung teases new colours
- HTC One Google Edition could be in the works after all
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Active pictures revealed online
- Thinner, lighter iPad 5 now expected to launch in September
- White Nexus 4, Android 4.3 release date looks set for June
- Google I/O 2013: what got announced - and what didn't
- Samsung Galaxy Mega release date delayed until July