Sharp readies ICC-Purios UHD 4K TV for the summer
Posted on 7 Jan 2013 at 18:30, by Tom Morgan
Sharp has revealed the ICC Purios, its first UHD TV for 2013, at its CES press conference this morning. The 60in, 4K TV is built around Sharp’s unique cognitive creation image processor and is the first ultra-high definition TV to receive THX certification for video quality.
Developed in partnership with I-cubed Research Center, the ICC Purios combines an Ultra HD 3,840x2,160 resolution panel with the ICC image processor, which can apparently simulate the sense of depth, texture and perspective that the brain experiences when looking directly at an object – essentially, Sharp says looking at the Purius is like looking through a mirror. Although we wouldn’t go that far, the sample images on display at the unveiling were certainly impressive, with huge amounts of detail and vibrant colours.
Gaining THX approval is no easy feat, with over 400 separate tests performed in order to obtain THX 4K display certification. The ICC Purios is the world’s first disply to achieve this, giving some clue as the picture quality we can expect from the set when it launches.
Due in the summer in the US, Sharp didn’t mention what to expect in terms of pricing, or availability outside of America. We’ll be sure to hunt down the right people and investigate when the CES show floor opens.
A second UHD TV, launching under the AQUOS brand, is also due this year, although Sharp wouldn’t reveal dates or pricing, or even a model number. It’s expected to come in multiple screen sizes, with an 80in model on show at the press conference, but it’s too far off for solid details yet. Even so, it looked impressive during the few minutes we had with it.
For all the latest news from the CES show, read CES 2013: In-depth, hands-on coverage from our team in Las Vegas
Find a review
- Sony announces Bravia X9 4K TV prices for the UK
- Loewe Reference ID TVs launched, custom designs coming soon
- sub-£1000 Ultra HD TV launched by Seiki
- Sony confirms 4K TV prices, introduces FMP-X1 4K media streamer
- Toshiba’s 2013 A/V line-up for 2013 revealed
- Philips Design Line TV announced
- LG OLED TV available to pre-order for £9,999, ships in July
- Philips TVs priced and dated for 2013
- Philips 4K TV reveal expected by late August
- LG buys webOS from HP for Smart TV development