Expensive HDMI cables make no difference - the absolute proof
Posted on 25 May 2012 at 11:00, by Tom Morgan
Whether or not to buy an expensive HDMI cable is one of the most contentious subjects on the internet. On pro the side of buying them are home cinema magazines and audiophile websites, which sing the praises of more expensive cables, heralding how they can do remarkable things, such as boosting flesh tones.
On the other side, you have the sceptics that say HDMI uses digital, so all cables are equal. In fact, James Randi has even extended his $1 million prize for anyone that can prove paranormal activity to include anyone that can prove that expensive HDMI cables make a difference.
We've always been sceptical about the benefits of more expensive cables, but the problem was always proving it in a scientific, repeatable way that removes any argument. Now, we've found the way to do that and can once and for all prove beyond a doubt if expensive cables make any difference.
The only way to answer the question of whether or not expensive cables really make a difference is to test image quality objectively. Subjective testing using a group of people is inherently flawed, as the average person will almost always pick a side when given two options to choose from – even if they are identical. HDMI cables are no exception to this rule, as we found out when we last tested HDMI cables.
There are other problems, too. Using identical TVs, Blu-ray players and discs still can’t create a level playing field, because of minor differences between the colour casts of each set. Even identical devices have the potential to affect the results of a blind test. When we compared two PlayStation 3 consoles, we noticed a distinct difference in the colour reproduction of a Blu-ray disc - independent of the TV or HDMI cable we used. Unless you colour calibrate each device first, a blind test can’t produce reliable results.
For more details about purchasing this feature and/or images for editorial usage, please contact Jasmine Samra on email@example.com
Find a review
- iOS 8 release date, screenshots, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system
- Shocking! Nokia stops European sales of Lumia 2520 tablet
- BBC iPlayer and Sky Go not working on iPhone and iPad
- Lenovo expands Flex hybrid laptop family with Full HD Flex 2 models
- Pioneer adds Apple CarPlay to five existing in-car multimedia systems
- Sonos cuts the cord, eliminates need to wire in first speaker in a system
- Eyefi Cloud uploads your photos as you snap them
- iOS 8 could get Shazam integration for Siri song recognition
- Virgin Media cock-up bombards customers with spam emails
- Leaked iPhone 6 battery images potentially confirm bigger screen rumours