Samsung Galaxy Grand large-screen Android smartphone unveiled
Posted on 19 Dec 2012 at 09:25, by Gareth Halfacree
Samsung has officially unveiled its latest large-screen handset, the Android-powered mid-range Galaxy Grand.
Designed for those who find the Galaxy S3 and its 4.8in screen a little cramped, but for whom the 5.5in Galaxy Note 2 is a little excessive, the Galaxy Grand features a 5in display in a housing designed around the same themes as the Galaxy S3. Sadly, Samsung is aiming firmly at the mid-range market with this device: rather than the high-resolution 720x1,280 display found on the Galaxy S3, the Galaxy Grand's display, while larger, is a lacklustre 480x800.
Behind that display, the mid-range specifications continue: a 1.2GHz dual-core processor is backed up by 1GB of RAM, with 8GB of internal storage available and the option of adding more through an internal microSD card slot. The rear of the device is home to an eight megapixel camera supporting 1080p high-definition video recording, while a two megapixel camera at the front is capable of 720p video. The handset will ship with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean as standard, Samsung has confirmed.
Connectivity includes 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi on the 2.4GHz band - with no support for 5GHz networks - along with Bluetooth 4.0. Location data is provided by assisted GPS and support for the Glonass satellite system, but the handset is a 3G-only device - there's no word from Samsung of a 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) model for high-speed data connectivity.
The most interesting feature, however, is the promise of a dual-SIM model. Unlike the Galaxy Grand GT-I9080, which supports but a single SIM card, the Galaxy Grand GT-I9082 will launch alongside its cheaper brother with dual-active SIM slots - meaning users can have two numbers active on the device simultaneously, making calls from either and receiving calls from both at any time.
Thus far, Samsung hasn't revealed pricing or availability for the two Galaxy Grand handsets, with more information expected to be revealed at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2013 in Las Vegas next month.
Find a review
- iPhone 6 release date, specs, price, news & rumours
- Nokia Normandy Android smartphone rumoured for 2014
- Asus Padfone Mini launched as 4.3in smartphone and 7in tablet pair
- European air authorities update guidelines, smartphones and tablets get the OK to fly
- Qualcomm reveals 64-bit Snapdragon 410 mobile CPU
- HTC One Mini sales ban gets last-minute delay
- Upcoming USB Type-C connector to be thinner and reversible
- Asus PadFone Mini leaks ahead of launch
- HTC One 2 (HTC M8) specs, price, release date, news and rumours
- Samsung Galaxy S5 release date, price, specs & features rumours