Nokia Lumia 920 successor could be all-aluminium codename Catwalk
Posted on 4 Jan 2013 at 10:21, by Gareth Halfacree
Nokia is rumoured to be planning out its Lumia 920 successor already, working under the codename 'Catwalk' and planning a lighter body constructed from aluminium.
While far from an official statement from the Finnish mobile company, The Verge claims to have information from anonymous sources "familiar with Nokia's plans" that points to a redesign for the next generation of the company's flagship Windows Phone handset. Designed to take over from the existing Nokia Lumia 920, the Catwalk device is claimed to address one of the biggest complaints users had of its predecessor: the size and weight.
Compared to the Lumia 920, The Verge's source claims, Catwalk will be considerably slimmer and lighter, thanks in part to a new all-aluminium body which allows the company to use less - and lighter - material in the casing without sacrificing strength and durability.
Internally, however, the handset could have similar specifications to the Lumia 920 in terms of processor power, memory and storage capacity, and there is as yet no word on whether the somewhat disappointing camera of its predecessor will be replaced with something closer to the impressive 41 megapixel sensor found in the company's PureView 808. Also missing from the site's report is any mention of battery life, something high-end smartphones often struggle with as companies sacrifice runtime for ever-increasing performance.
That Nokia is planning a successor to the Lumia 920 should be no surprise: the handset has proven extremely popular, selling out just 20 minutes after launch in China and enjoying similarly brisk sales throughout Europe thanks to better support for high-speed Long Term Evolution (LTE) 4G networks than Apple's iPhone.
Nokia has yet to comment on the rumoured Catwalk handset, with no information yet available on pricing or UK availability.
Find a review
- iPhone 6 could use curved glass front panel
- iPhone Air – What does the iPhone 6 have in common with Bigfoot?
- Android ad traffic overtakes iOS for the first time
- iPhone 6 case compared with 5s, Nexus 5 in video leak
- HTC One (m8) leaked in red, headed to the US on Verizon first
- Latest iPhone 6 rumour points to curved display, all aluminium chassis
- iPhone 6 pictured in concept renders based on current rumour round-up
- Leaked images show iOS 8 running on Apple iPhone 5s
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom cameraphone pictured ahead of official reveal
- iOS 8 release date, screenshots, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system