Nexus 4 out of stock until early 2013
Posted on 29 Nov 2012 at 10:45, by Gareth Halfacree
Google's Nexus 4 smartphone is proving so popular that the company is struggling to meet demand, with a second batch of devices selling out in the US within an hour of arrival.
Despite reports of a buzzing earpiece and software bugs in the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean software, the cut-price LG-manufactured device remains popular: initial stocks of the handset sold out within hours of going live on the Google Play store world-wide, and those who missed out are being left guessing as to when they might be able to exchange money for the latest must-have gadget.
While the phone has remained unavailable to buy internationally since launch, US customers received notification earlier this week that the smartphone was back in stock on Google Play. A rush of traffic brought the site to its knees, and by the time users had fought past page time-outs and basket errors the devices had sold out.
Now, Google is warning that prospective buyers may not be able to get their hands on the device until early next year: the company's stock status estimation shows the more expensive 16GB Nexus 4 handset shipping in around five weeks, while the cheaper and more popular 8GB version won't be leaving the warehouse until between eight and nine weeks from now - putting it firmly into next year.
It would appear that Google has underestimated demand for the device, which our review hailed as a great handset for those who want Android in its purest form.
Find a review
- Yotaphone dual-screen Android smartphone launches in Europe
- Apple iPhone 5S outselling 5C three to one in UK
- Virgin Media TV Anywhere now available on Android
- HTC to bring dual-SIM HTC One to UK
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Grand 2
- Virgin Media confirms iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c prices
- Instagram (finally) launches on Windows Phone
- UK buyers fleeced in tablet storage memory 'rip-off'
- BlackBerry revs up Porsche Design P’9982 smartphone
- Nexus 5 bumper cases now available through Google Play