HTC One X Android 4.1 Jelly Bean upgrade arrives on O2
Posted on 8 Jan 2013 at 10:51, by Gareth Halfacree
HTC has formally begun the process of updating its last-generation HTC One X smartphone, recently surpassed by the more powerful HTC One X+, to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for customers without SIM-free and unlocked handsets.
Making the update available to O2 customers with contract or pay-as-you-go phones for the first time this week, the software update brings all the features of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to the HTC One X. As a result, owners can expect to see improved performance, the new Jelly Bean notification system with direct one-tap email, text or call response, and a vastly improved predictive text engine that reduces the embarrassment of inappropriate autocorrect entries.
The update will also bring Google Now, Google's answer to Apple's iOS 6-integrated Siri personal assistant, to the handsets. Available exclusively on Android 4.1 and Android 4.2 handsets, Google Now is designed to provide location-sensitive search results - including sports scores, weather information and traffic information - even before the user asks, and to answer natural-language questions through the speech recognition interface and typed requests from the onscreen keyboard.
What will be missing from the update, sadly, are the features of the recently-launched Android 4.2 update. While also codenamed Jelly Bean, the Android 4.2 platform brings even more improvements including a new camera app with support for capturing 360-degree panoramic images. Thus far, HTC has not provided a timescale for updating its devices to this latest version.
For HTC One X customers on the O2 network, the Android 4.1 update is available now as an over-the-air install. Users can either wait to be prompted to upgrade, or force a check by going into the Android Settings menu, choosing About, Software Updates and pressing the Check Now button.
Find a review
- iPhone 6 could use curved glass front panel
- iPhone Air – What does the iPhone 6 have in common with Bigfoot?
- Android ad traffic overtakes iOS for the first time
- iPhone 6 case compared with 5s, Nexus 5 in video leak
- HTC One (m8) leaked in red, headed to the US on Verizon first
- Latest iPhone 6 rumour points to curved display, all aluminium chassis
- iPhone 6 pictured in concept renders based on current rumour round-up
- Leaked images show iOS 8 running on Apple iPhone 5s
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom cameraphone pictured ahead of official reveal
- iOS 8 release date, screenshots, features, news and rumours for new iPhone 6 and iPhone 5 operating system